June 9, 2005

Watching Homer in the "Wild"

My male cat,
  • Homer
  • has discovered that he loves the outdoors. I was opposed to letting him experience the big world outside because so many of my previous animals didn't fare well outside. They always wound up beneath the big 4-wheeled monster I tried to warn them about.

    However, it seems that Homer rather likes the confines of our backyard. It is enclosed with a lot of plants for him to investigate. I have come out here with a laptop to keep an eye on him....and it appears that I didn't do a good job. I just had to get up and call him back from the neighbor's yard. It always looks greener on the other side you know. I am thinking that the neighbors, who were out beside their pool, may have spooked him because now he is content to stay nearby on his own side of the fence.

    Homer's curiosity keeps him looking for something exciting and fun. Once he experiences a new place that intrigues him, its hard to go back to the way it was before. He always knows what is over there. I wonder if he liked "the other side" or if it just scared him? He seems to still be intrigued by that area of the yard and I have to occasionally call to him to come back.

    Homer reminds me of us humans. There have been times when my curiosity took me to "the other side". Other people were doing things that seemed to really be fun. I was intrigued and wanted to have some fun too. There were times that my ventures into the "unknown" spooked me a bit and I would have to come back home. However, I knew it was out there. I enjoyed it and wanted to experience it again.

    Well a lawnmower has started up and Homer is totally freaked out. He has come running back to the safety of his home and master once again. I do the same thing when I get a little "freaked out" about where I've been. I run back home to the safety and comfort of my Master. Although, I am sure both Homer and I will one day want to venture out again to "the other side."

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    It is so very comforting to know GOD is with us, always...even when we venture to the 'other side',the 'unknown', the 'exciting'...waiting,
    patiently for us to make the chose to come back to him...where we know we are safe and loved unconditionally...
    "a Love without end..AMEN"..

    Nellie said...

    I can relate to your thoughts about "venturing." I can think of several times I did that, and I surely am glad I could come back home. It is good to rest in knowing that home is always there.

    Powered By Blogger