June 27, 2005

Highly Distracted

At the rate I'm going, I should have all the boxes left from our move 2 years ago, emptied in 3 more summers. I am so easily swayed and give into the temptation to read a magazine article, watch TV, or get on my computer. After all, I have to read blogs and check email. But the real time waster has got to be watching my cats and the birds in my backyard.

Today I heard a mockingbird outside my bedroom window. He was carrying on so loudly that I knew for sure that he would be staring back at me when I opened the window blinds. He was almost that close as he perched on top of the patio umbrella. He sat up there and chirped his little heart out to whatever. Then I spied another mockingbird flying in with a bug in her mouth. I assumed it was a female bringing food to her babies.

Yesterday afternoon I let Homer, our male cat, go outside in the backyard. He just loves to prowl in the tall grasses like he is a tiger. I went back in the house to resume my work. I left the patio door slightly ajar because Baby, our female cat, likes to stay close and check back in to assure herself that she is safe. Anyway, after a while, I heard my mockingbird friend sounding very agitated. Then I can only assume that he must have told his fowl buddies that cats were in the yard, because those birds began the biggest commotion of chirping I'd ever heard outside of a zoo. When I didn't immediately see Homer, all I had to do to find him was to follow the sound of the chirping birds. I couldn't see him at first. Homer's fur makes great camouflage. Soon I saw him crouched down in the tall grass beneath the trees which inhabited the noisy birds.

Later, Homer decided to venture back out into the open yard where he became a clear target. A mockingbird swooped down on him like a kamikaze pilot bombing Pearl Harbor. Homer ducked then kept walking with little concern for the angry bird. I finally had to bring Homer and Baby back into the house just to shut the birds up.

Now, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, my distractions. I'm just saying, it doesn't take much to divert my attention from those pesky boxes to anything that isn't a box to unload. Well back to my work.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

We've lived in our house 4 years now and I still have boxes. To make matters worse, Skip helped me bring home MORE boxes today from clearing out my office at Pumphrey!

I guess that means that now that I'm retired I will have no excuse to leave the boxes just sitting there. I think I'll just pitch some of them away and not even look inside. Surely if I needed that stuff by now I would have looked for it, right?!

Kyle said...

I really want to have a garage sale. I'm thinking you could sell some things, no?

Powered By Blogger