June 25, 2005

Summer Baseball in Houston

Last night Kim and I went to Minute Maid Park in downtown Houston to watch the Astros play the Texas Rangers. It so happened that the Astros club was celebrating the 25th anniversary of their first World Championship won back in 1980. Many of the players from that 1980 team were also there to honor the occasion. Larry Dierker was on deck to M.C. the proceedings and introduce people like Nolan Ryan, Terry Puhl and Jose Cruz. Nolan Ryan even pitched the opening game ball, but I missed it.

I missed Nolan Ryan's pitch because I sat next to an enthisiastic woman around 40 years old, clad in Astro t-shirt and cap, who was there with her husband wearing his matching 'Stro t-shirt. They were big fans of the Astros, especially the woman who fast became my "best friend". Ask me anything you want to know about this lady and I'll bet I know it because she talked non-stop the entire game. I politely nodded as I listened and tried to follow the game at the same time. She apparently doesn't go to many games, but had been a big Astro's fan for many years. She was also very excited that after the game there was to be a fireworks display for which she reminded me numerous times throughout the course of the evening.

I must admit that in the beginning this woman greatly annoyed me and when Kim asked if I wanted to go with him to the consessions for food, I gladly accompanied him. I needed a break from her banter and lame jokes that she found to be so funny. As we walked to the food court, I commented to Kim that the only thing worse than sitting by a woman talking non-stop during a baseball game, was sitting by a woman talking non-stop at a baseball game ABOUT baseball. It was amazing how many Astros baseball facts she knew or at least THOUGHT she knew.

Later as the game continued, and BTW the Astros were beating the Texas Rangers, it occurred to me that this woman acted compulsive. I began to think of her as having some clinical mental disorder that she could not control. I also noticed how happy she was and with a 12 year old boyish excitement for baseball, she was having the time of her life. How could I fault her for that?

You know once I began looking at that talkative woman in a different light, she did become my friend. It didn't annoy me near as much when I realized she was honestly talking about her passion. I never heard her name, she never once asked me a question. She seemed to be so caught up in just being at the stadium and seeing the Astros, both past and present, that it was clearly all about the moment.

Well it turned out to be a great game. The Astros won over the Rangers, 5-2. We got to see a spectacular open-air fireworks display with the Houston city lights in the background. We even saw some old Astros players from years past. Most of all, I met a genuine person. A person that wasn't shy about sharing her passion of Astros baseball with tidbits about herself as added flavor. I even found out that she once wanted to be a standup comedian. Although I'm not sure the world of standup comedians would be ready for the likes of her.

As I left the game, I was happy and satisfied that I had come. Even though it would have been nice if by seat partner had let up a bit or let me respond, it made me think about my passions. What are they? Do I even share them with others? Am I too shy to talk to strangers as if they were some long lost best friend? She gave me something to consider and I believe I learned a lesson in patience and acceptance of others.

Go Astros!

8 comments:

Hypatia Theon said...

Hi, Mary Lou Martin. Seeing your name and that you live in Texas, reminded me of Lou Ann Barton. I guess because her name rhymes with yours, and she epitomises the soul of Texas blues women. Do you like blues? It seems to go well with Texas.

Anyway, I wanted to ask, "are you familiar with any of these blogging tools?

Bolg Explosion,

Blog Exchange,

Blog Clicker,

Maximum Awesome,

Blog Soldiers?"

Also, recently I've been looking into:

126 Hits.com, too.

LOVE, Peal Dragon

P.s. Let me know if any of those help you, o.k.?

Deana Nall said...

I rode with a woman I did not know to a conference from Abilene to Dallas one summer and by the time we got there, I knew all about this woman's three marriages, just about everything to know about her sex life, and I had second-handedly inhaled smoke from an entire pack of her cigarettes. The road from Abilene to Dallas has never been as long as it was that day. This woman also gave me something to consider -- never riding with strangers again. I guess I could have learned something about patience and acceptance that day, but instead I learned about resisting the urge to strangle someone by the side of I-20 and taking off in their car.

Mary Lou said...

Yeah, I see your point, Deanna. But at least the woman I sat by only had the one vice that I could tell...the "gift" of gab. Although she did tell me she won $360. at the slots in Louisiana once. She didn't smoke or drink, but at one point I was ready to hale the beer guy.

Mary Lou said...

Yeah, I see your point, Deanna. But at least the woman I sat by only had the one vice that I could tell...the "gift" of gab. Although she did tell me she won $360. at the slots in Louisiana once. She didn't smoke or drink, but at one point I was ready to hale the beer guy.

Kyle said...

Mom, you're great. I would've ignored her. I know you think that I'm a nice person and wouldn't have done that. But, I'm not really that nice. I would have either ignored her or covertly made fun of her. I'm really a very mean person.

Mary Lou said...

Oh, not so. You are very nice. And you are very nice to your mom, that's a big plus for me when I hear how mean some guys are to their own mothers. So if you're not so nice to a stranger, that's okay as long as you're still nice to me. :-)

Mom

Nellie said...

What is it about some us that seems to invite total strangers to tell us their life stories? It has always amazed me what people will share with me while standing in the check out line at the grocery store!

Accepting others can be quite a challenge when they seem to be so different from our friends and acquaintances. I'll bet every time you see or think about an Astros game from now on you will be reminded of this woman and her passion, and it will cause you once again to think about your own passions. She just may have been seated by you for a reason. :)

Mary Lou said...

you are proably right, Nell. I hadn't thought of it like that.
thanks,
ML

Powered By Blogger