June 6, 2005

Home Again, Home Again Jiggidy Jig

Well I was going to spend a weekend at home all by myself. Then the evening before Kim was to leave for Arlington, I decided to go. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get motel a room, but Kim always works things out. It was the Texas Non-Profit Theatres' Youth Conference. This is probably the 6th year Kim has taken a group of preteens and teens to the conference from our local community theater. They performed a musical called "Honk! Jr." The junior indicates it is a shorter version of the real play. The play is the "Ugly Duckling" story. Our kids were just great!

Kim and I went up on the second day of the conference due to Kim having to work. (All play and no work, makes Kim a poor man.) Our group had traveled the day before with their chaperones so they had already been to a day and a half of activities when we walked into the auditorium at UTA Friday evening. Kim was so surprised when the kids all cheered to see him. Its a great thing to watch my husband work with the group. They really like and respect what he does.

I mostly hung with Kim which was the real reason I decided not to stay by myself at home. Even though we've been married for 30 years, I still miss him when he is gone for a couple of days. Besides I just thought alone in the house for the weekend would bore me out of my mind. However, I had to keep reminding myself why I was there. The motel room was not too great. It was clean but located far off the beaten path. No restaurants or stores were within walking distance. It was hot! We had to make a room change due to the broken air conditioner in our room. The plays were pretty good, but not that great. Some were just confusing, but one called "The Rimers of Eldritch" while confusing was done with a great deal of maturity on the kids' part. When viewing youth art, you have to look at it from a learning/growing point of view. They were all very brave and spunky to even get up there.

I know that Kim would really have liked for me to take a more active part in this activity. I've done things with theater for him in the past and I'm not saying I won't ever do it again. I'm just saying that I've been a little selfish with me lately. I want to do some things that I know I need to take care of.

Anyway, if I don't get up from this darn computer, I will be wasting that "me" time.

1 comment:

Nellie said...

Be sure to take that "me" time while you have it in the summer months. I know you don't get much of it during the school year. I missed you guys at church on Sunday, but it sounds like it was a good trip. (Even if it was hot!)I'm glad there are people like Kim who take the time to work with our young people. So many of them need a good role model.

Powered By Blogger