June 13, 2005

Long Hot Summer Days

I just read my friend Deana's blog. She is an extremely good writer and does it on a weekly basis for
  • The Baytown Sun
  • which is our hometown newspaper. The post was actually one she had written for The Sun. Her article was about how different her summer is now with two children. Her oldest child is 5 years old and the other is about 8 months old. Her description of her daily summer schedule compared to what it was when she was in high school was very humorous to us moms that have been there-done that.

    As a school teacher I was always at home with my sons for summer vacation. I counted down those last days of school with the same excitement that they did. I was ready for a break. However, just as Deana has experienced, my summers with little kids was no break. The day started early and usually ended late. My husband always thought that we should try to keep the same hours that we had during school. I'm not sure what planet he was from, but here on earth summer vacation was meant for no schedules. Well at least not the same one we had for school.

    The boys and I managed to stay very busy for the most part. I would always buy phonics and math workbooks on their ability levels and take them to the public library to check out books. Then we would practice school in the summer. It wasn't very strict, we just sat in the floor, colored and reviewed numbers and words and read books. Then I would try to get them to have a quiet time. I tried not to call it a nap because that was a bad 3-letter word to them. Sometimes we'd take lunch to the park and play or go swimming. Summers really were a lot of fun.

    Now days I'm home alone except for my two cats. My husband is at work and my three sons are all married. I have to find things to do so I don't get bored with my day. I certainly have plenty to do since I don't do a lot of cleaning out and housework during the ten months of school. My problem is that I don't work well in a quiet house. I turn on the TV that distracts me, then I fall asleep and nothing gets done. So, I try to listen to the CD player instead. A lot of times I read a book. I'm not used to staying home all day by myself, so I generally make a trip to the grocery store or Wal-Mart whether I need something or not.

    Yes, it is a lot calmer without 3 little boys running in and out of the house. Do I miss it? A little bit. Do I long to go back to those summers? Nope. I had more energy to keep up with them back then. I enjoyed my kids very much and I enjoy my grandchildren too. Right now, though, I'm working to become accustomed to summers with just me.
  • 1 comment:

    Kyle said...

    I can't stay still during the summer. I love having no schedule because that means that I am accountable to no one but myself. However, a schedule inflicted on me from a job or school does keep my brain functioning. So that's why I do theatre. I can stay busy without being too structured, plus it's something I like to do.

    Funny thing. I really only remember bits and peices about my summers as a child. I remember the "mini-school" that we had. I also remember playing outside a lot. But, mainly I just remember things like vacations. The stuff that happened at home all tends to run together with the the rest of the year. I remember nothing being on T.V. That hasn't changed.

    Powered By Blogger