May 6, 2005

Last One Out of the Nest

Of course, all three of our sons have been out of the actual nest since they each went off to college. I've had time to get used to the idea of grown children. So, I really think I'm over the "empty nest syndrome." In fact with grandchildren starting to come from the oldest married son and his wife, its been a joyful blessing. However, something rushed over me this morning as I suddently visualized my older two sons standing with their younger brother on the threshold of matrimony.

Throughout Ryan's engagement, short as it was, I've adopted the attitude of "good, finally, check it off the list of things to do". I was not going to be sad or emotional about this last marriage of my sons because I was feeling a since of retirement in the act. In fact I just adore Amy as much as my other two daughter in laws, Kari and Amanda. Each young woman is as unique in personality and talent as my sons are. To me, they have truly found their "soul-mates".

So why this sadness and welling up of tears? I'm not sure but along with the mental picture of what the wedding will look like this next Saturday, are a plethora of real pictures I have of them through their growing years. They were mostly happy, energetic boys with a love for each other that held a bond like glue. Even when they didn't appear to like each other on the surface, when the dust cleared, it was obvious that these three boys loved each other.

It makes me proud to be their mother. I feel confident in their abilities to take care of whatever life hands them. I'm not worried for them at all. I guess my feelings this morning are those of happiness mixed with a little melancholy as I see all of my little boys as grown men.

5 comments:

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deb said...

Hey, Mary Lou!

Have just been reading your blog, and am so amazed at the years gone by, and a flood of memories!

I cannot BELIEVE you and Kim are about to, or rather, have been, empty nesters for a while. All three sons married!! I have been nosy and read the comments of one of your precious sons, and what an awesome personality.

Sounds like this weekend will be one of those 'Martin Specials' -- a time full of loving and laughter. Anytime I was around you and Kim, and Kim's parents, joy claimed the day. Sorry I never got to meet your parents. Your tribute to your mom reminds me so much of mine, who left us when I was 27.

I can’t remember if the last time I saw you was when I came to church with Uncle James and Aunt Pat in Baytown (before the flood on the San Jacinto ruined their neighbourhood), or at Abilene's Civic Centre, for ACU's 'Evita', which one of your sons was in. Kim saw me and insisted that I come sit with you. What a blessing that night was!

At any rate, you posted your comment to Mike Cope right under my comment, and that's how I found your Blog! I just started one, but got cold feet as to what to do with it after I began it. And I started it for the same reasons as you started yours. If you get a chance (not this weekend, obviously), maybe you could mosey on over to it and read the two measly postings it now bears. If you've got any ideas, would love to hear (or read) them!

BTW, I have been married for almost four years now to John Simmons. He's from London, and we met in Dallas when I was working as the office manager for his consulting firm. We moved back to Southeast London not too long after Sept 11th.

Well, I've probably broken a lot of 'bloggette rules', but I just had to let you know how lovely it has been to read your blog, and to thank you for your touching posts. The memories of you and Kim are long and sweet. Have a glorious weekend with your expanding family and all the further adventures God will bring and bless.

Love and blessings to all!
Debi Milstead Simmons
(KibbelzNBits)

PS: I couldn't let you see all the spelling mistakes on my first comment! ;)

Deb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kyle said...

It frightens me when people I don't know read my blog. But, I have to admit, if that little ticker hadn't gone up every time I check it out I'd be very disappointed.

Mom, thanks for the kind words. Happy Mother's Day.

Jason said...

Very good to read. Thanks, mom.

Powered By Blogger