May 2, 2005

Homer

My male cat, Homer, is so funny to watch. He can bat around a wodded up piece of paper for the longest. He likes to get on my desk right in front of the computer screen. He used to paw at the cursor arrow that moved on the monitor, but then he learned that he couldn't catch it. So now he just ignores it. One day I went into my bathroom and saw much of the roll of toilet paper scredded and lying on the floor. Later I caught the culprit sitting on the toilet seat using his teeth to do the damage. Later we learned that Homer had a thing for toilet paper. He came strutting into the living room carrying a whole roll of toilet paper in his teeth. He deposited it beside our other cat, Baby, as if it was a trophy.

Last night Kim opened the bedroom door where I was already down in bed watching TV. Both Homer and my female black cat, Baby, came running in. Baby is about 3 years old and has learned that unless she hides, she will quickly be exiled from the room. So Baby immediately runs under the bed to hide. Homer hasn't figured that out he yet. So he will leap lovingly onto my bed and cuddle up next to my legs where he thinks he'll get to sleep for the night. Of course Kim easily picks him up and puts him out. Baby who by now has inched her way to the centermost point under our bed, is not as easy to catch. So we forget about her for the time and leave the door open.
The same thing happens when he dashes outside as I open the patio door. He likes to pretend that he is a tiger crouching behind the long grass ready to pouch on an unsuspecting lizard. Again he is easily retrieved and put back into the house. So trusting of us humans!

Homer is good company too. While I'm sitting on my couch grading papers, he'll sit with me and put his paws ont he papers or he'll try to "catch" the ink pen that I'm using. Then every now and then, just to be sure I've not forgotten he is there, he'll reach one soft paw up to my face. Or maybe it is just his way of saying that he loves me. Right now Homer is crouched in the doorway to this room staying closeby. My "guardcat"!

Yep, everyone needs a Homer cat. He can really entertain, be a companion or just ignore you. What
more does anyone need in a friend than that?

ML

1 comment:

Kyle said...

You don't let the cats sleep in your room? Pumpkin usually sleeps right on my legs. I've gotten used to it to the point I kind of like it. Sometimes he'll move to Amanda's head. She doesn't particularly like this, but she's asleep. It's either Amanda's head, or my legs. Bonkers sleeps on the floor next to the bed and will only hop up if he wants something.

Powered By Blogger