May 22, 2005

If It's Sunday, It's Church

For me the words Sunday and Church are synonyms. I've gone to church all of my life. Every Sunday if we were not sick, and I mean sick with a contagious disease, my family went to church. So it should be of no surprise that since today was Sunday, I attended services with my church.

There seemed to be a theme about the lessons I was hearing today. They all seemed to have something to do with worship. Not so much how one worships, but what is it? The common thought about worship has been what the people do when assembling in the church building. However, I've noticed over the past ten or so years, that worship is no longer considered to be something reserved for a corporate service. (There's another new buzz word, "corporate".)

As I listened to people talk about our songs, praise, reading of scriptures, communion and prayer, what kept coming to my mind was my conversations with God. To worship God is to consider Him that is able to do all and know all. In a small group service this evening, someone said that God was open 24 hours a day. That's true too. I can talk to my God anytime I want to. The time is always good. Those conversation times are my worship with God and I find them to be very intimate meetings with my creator.

I have worshiped God lately when my new granddaughter was born healthy and her mother came through her delivery with no problems. I also worshiped God when he allowed me to witness my youngest son marry a beautiful Christian woman. I also worship God with thanksgiving in my heart that all three of my sons have married lovely Christian women. That is a prayer I prayed back when they were just little boys. I prayed that God would send them Christian wives. He is a God of kept promises. I believe that to be worthy of my worship.

My Sunday school teacher brought a new idea about worship to me today. Like I started this blog with what I considered to be synonyms, Sunday and Church; he said that worship and service were synonyms. That was a new concept for me.

I'm going to think on that idea for while before I blog on it. The idea that my service for God and my worship to God are synonymous is something I need to research. So I'll save my comments on that for next blog.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Hi, ML!

Yesterday, all the churches here celebrated Trinity Sunday, and I find your blog offering today somewhat 'synonymous' with my own thoughts lately.

In lieu of burdening you with an extremely long comment (and messing up your Comments column), I have written a reflection of sorts on my blog for today. You can read it at your will. It's a discussion that would be much easier to have if you and I could just sit down and chat over a cup of coffee or tea. Actually, the best setting is your suggestion of going to the beach with the margaritas in tow!

Having taught in Texas, I understand what this week must feel like for you. Just hang in there! Then come on over and I'll take you to the Plough in Eynsford for a long leisurely lunch. :)

Hope you don't mind my reference to your blog on mine. Thanks so much for giving me more to converse with God about.

Love ya!

Deb said...

To ML:

Thanks for your kind thoughts, and for the ways YOUR words and thinking inspire me!

You weren't on that bus??? No wonder the AARP sent me a membership card!!

In the haze of my memory, I seem to remember you and Kim in the Bean at ACC (ACU), and him teasing you that you were from East Texas, and didn't have any oil wells in your backyard, like he did ... is that right? He and Dale were always bragging about those darned oil wells!

As to being 3 months older than Kim, that's a Trinitarian number, and that alone should make you The Boss. By now you've certainly earned the wings!

School's almost out. Get ready for the beach and those margaritas!!

Powered By Blogger