July 20, 2007

Life is a Stage


Oh my gosh! I've wasted so much time the past several days trying to find parts to craft a candlestick telephone. I am Kim's assistant for the next Baytown Little Theater play after Titanic the Musical. Kim is directing the 1927 play, Front Page. It is the story of a 1920's news room and the writers that inhabit it. When the play was written it was a modern-day story, but today it is a period piece. That makes the play's properties list a challenge since so many of the pieces needed are not produced any longer. One such thing are candlestick telephones...five to six candlestick telephones to be exact. We have a wall telephone at the theater that I bought for another period play. We only have one candlestick telelphone like the picture here, that we bought on eBay. They don't go cheap and so to spend $150.-$200. of our show budget on telephones just isn't an option. I'm hoping that local community theaters will come to our aide.

Kim brought two books home from the library about making various types of props for plays. Each has a design for the candlestick telephone. I have worked on one of them using thread spools, an oval wooden craft plaque, a wooden dowel and other things to make it look right. It doesn't look right. Then I searched Lowe's today for pipe and lamp parts to make another version of the phone. Some of the parts were so unknown to me and I was reluctant to just ask for help. I figure that other people need help to find materials for home projects. It's hard to explain to a serious home repair person that I want PVC pipe to make a telephone.

When and if I find the 6 candlestick telephones, I'm not finished. We still need a human sized roll-top desk that a small man has to actually hide in it.

Ah, theater...what a joy! Seriously, what a joy. It really is a lot of fun being part of a theater.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger