August 1, 2007

Fear Not

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God." Isaiah 41:10

It is a sad life to live in fear. Fear of the unknown produces a continual state of worry. When one lives with thoughts of doom, "what if this feeling is cancer?", "where will I get a job?", "when will I ever pay these debts?" it is injurious not only to that person, but to those that live around or with that person.

When I worry or fear the worst, it can literally make me ill. My body feels sick to the point that my thoughts run wild thinking the worst has happened to me. My husband might not notice that I'm worried or feeling sick, because I don't want to talk about it. Or he might not be tuned in to what I'm going through because it is all in my head. However, he isn't getting the best from his wife when I am in this worrisome state. The dishes tend to sit in the sink longer, I don't get dressed as soon or get my day started before it is already time for lunch or later. My actions are in limbo not really knowing what to do next. If I allow myself to linger, my thoughts take over and solutions to my problems seem to be lost in a black hole somewhere in my brain.

I recently saw a book title about the Bible cure for depression and anxiety. The little book proposes that many of our illnesses come from allowing ourselves to stress and that we can do something about it with God's help. It also suggested that if we also do some of the things recommended by the doctor that wrote that book we can overcome our depressive thoughts. I will tell more about the book and author after I read the book. I found the concept intriguing and one that I've thought about before. Just some of my thinking this morning.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I will fear no evil, for you are with me..." Psalms 23: 4

2 comments:

Nellie said...

I'll be waiting to hear your thoughts after you read the book. Our own minds are very often our worst enemy if we let our thoughts dwell on our worries. I guess that's the reason I have come to cherish my quiet times with God. He gives me peace.

Chad said...

This post makes me think of Casting Crowns, "Praise You in the Storm."

How does it feel not to be in a classroom on the first day of school for the first time in many years?

Powered By Blogger