July 16, 2007

Get a Job, Sha-na-na-na-na-na-...

Over 50, retired, white, female, still productive, desires to contribute to the financial status of current household. Will work part time or full time if hours are flexible. Skills include, but not confined to, writing composition, problem solving, managing people under age 10, ordering supplies, computer expertise in Word, Excel,and Power Point, can type at least 60 wpm, answer telephones, however will not do telemarketing, has experience in the theatrical arts industry, can operate an automobile, plan and implement a lesson on reading skills to 5-10 year olds, can use copy machine and unjam paper from all areas of mechanism with minimal frustration, has a desire to accomplish tasks at least 20-25 hours a week not including weekends.

I recently found a website called, Retirementjobs.com/ I thought I'd give it a try and I began filling in all the little spaces on the forms. After which I clicked "search" and got 0 hits. So I narrowed my search criteria and clicked "search" once again, still 0 hits. This went on for quite sometime until I put in something like "sales" and job title "sales representative". That got 60 hits, none of which I would want at this stage of my retired career.

I can see that this will be no easy task to change a 30 year profession in education. I would rather not have to teach children directly. That is to be translated as no substitute teaching and perhaps no tutoring. However, I won't rule out tutoring since my last school asked when I left if I'd be willing to come back as a TAKS tutor. Its a paying job, but not one that will pay enough to supplement the TRS paycheck.

"What do you want to do?" many friends have asked. I'm not sure. I wish I had a simple, positive answer for what I'd like to do, but I don't. I've thought about working in a teacher supply store selling all the stuff I used for 30 years in the classroom. I have been approached by a neighbor that works in a nearby school district about testing students for pre-AP courses and the TAKS which doesn't sound entirely bad, but still it is in education.

What I picture myself doing (in the perfect world) is a job at my computer with the occasional phone conference or face to face meeting with a client or customer and working my own hours, preferably in my houserobe and slippers. Or perhaps working in a small office situation where I do some computer work, a little phone calling, filing and working for a couple of bosses would be nice if the bosses were pleasant guys. (I say guys because I'm not too keen on working for a female. Please no hate mail.) But how to go about finding such jobs and ones that will supplement my pay enough to make a difference is going to be another thing altogether.

Any suggestions on what I can do for the next 10-15 years would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know of any openings off hand, but you might want to look for jobs as church secretary or even Christian educator ... they're often part time.

Mary Lou said...

I know about a church secretary, but what about a Christian educator...like in Christian schools?

Jason said...

Look around for companies that you might want to work for. Simply walk in, give them your resume, and ask if they have any secretarial work available. If they don't ask if they know of anyone who is hiring. I will be surprised if you don't have at least a couple of leads after 6 visits. It may take a little time, but that method may work well if looking online and talking to friends doesn't work out.

Powered By Blogger