April 18, 2006

Peeps, Marshmallow, & Chocolate

Okay, enough of that seriousness. On to more joyful, silly topics like "Chocolate Covered Peeps". Ha! I like the sound of that, "Chocolate Covered Peeps". Doesn't that just sound adorable??? Anyway, my friend, Deana, has a blog and she mentioned how it would be awesome to have those little pink Easter Peeps chocolate covered. I think that would be marvelous.

Then I started to think about all of the other marshmallowy centered sweet stuff I've tried. One that came to mind were Pinwheels. They are really big cookies that are mostly chocolate covered marshmallow sitting on a cookie bottom. My mother used to buy them sometimes. They were a real treat and because of their size, one was all that I could eat. Let's see, what are some more? Oh, yes, another marshmallow treat are Snowballs. They are pink coconut covered balls of marshmallow wrapped around a chocolate cake middle. There are two in a package like it was originally one round snowball cut in half. Man! I used to love those things.

Now this next one is a camping treat that, if you don't camp, you just must try sometime. Smores! Who could ever turn down a smore? I love those things. Roast a big marshmallow over an open flame. When I was a little girl, my mom would thread a couple of marshmallows on the tines of a long-handled meat fork. We had a gas stove and we'd roast them over the flame of the gas burner. I just thought that was the way to do it forever. Okay, well, after browning it sufficiently, (a flame or two on the marshmallow is a good thing), take a square of plain Hershey chocolate, lay it on a square of graham cracker, then squoosh the marshmallow on top of the chocolate sandwiching it between two graham crackers. The marshmallow oozes out the edges and melts the chocolate making this one of the best marshmallow treats ever.

Okay, any more out there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pinwheels are my absolute favorite comfort food! Not the "marshmallow twirl" variety that look like pinwheels, because the chocolate is different. Authentic Pinwheels have a darker chocolate ... yummmm

Mary Lou said...

Oooo, I'll bet that really is good. I love dark chocolate too.

Where do we find "authentic" Pinwheels, Obi won kinobi?
I thought they came from Nabisco.
ML

Deana Nall said...

LOVE Hostess Showballs. I've always seen them in bright pink down here, but did you know that in Alaska, they are white? I think I also saw them in blue up there. Coconut, marshmallow, chocolate cake and creamy filling -- all in one bite. Nothing's better.

Mary Lou said...

Oh, my yes. Rice Krispy Treats are the best. How could I have forgotten them? In fact, you won't believe this, but I happen to have one in my purse. It was left over from a box lunch I had at the Women of Faith Conference...and ha...what do you know? It's still good! :-)

Powered By Blogger