April 13, 2006

"Drop and Tuck"

“I had this person I knew I was made to be, yet it was mixed in with all of these other . . . people. As the lights were turned on, I saw I had all of this guilt and shame because I wasn’t measuring up to the image of the perfect person I had in my head. I had this idea of a superpastor — all of these messages I had been sent over the years that I had received and internalized.
…a passage from Rob Bell’s Velvet Elvis

Isn’t that a great quote? I borrowed it from Mike Cope's blog, http://www.preachermike.com/. We don’t have to be a pastor to understand the “we have all fallen short” idea in that quote. What really hits me between the eyes is the part about having the idea of a super “somebody” in my head and not measuring up. Yep, that’s me. I have an image in my head of how I should be and I gave up on that person long ago. But the guilt didn’t stop there. Not only do I know that I don’t measure up, now I’ve given up trying. All that it would take to be “superwoman” is too overwhelming and I have lost the energy to try to keep up.

As a young child, my older brother would often resort to playing football with me, his little sister, when none of the usual guys were around. I rather enjoyed those football games even though I almost never won. Just a two-“guy” game of tackle football in our front yard on a late summer evening with the cool St. Augustine grass under our bare feet brings to mind a sweet memory. Richard wasn’t known for playing gently and on more than one occasion I found myself face down as I was pushed to the ground while attempting to make a touchdown. That part of the game I didn’t like. So, as soon as the ball snapped I tucked it under my arm and ran as fast as my short chubby legs would take me. However, I was never a match for my big brother and I soon learned to “drop and tuck”. As he would get closer and closer to me, I avoided the tackle by simply squatting to the ground, hovering over the football and covering my head. Most of the time my brother would stop and yell, “Don’t stop!” I remember how frustrated Richard would get when I simply gave up.

As a grown up, I still give up on things that seem overwhelming. If a task appears too daunting I have to step back and take long breaks to get a proper perspective of what has to be done. Too many voices, too much noise, too many decisions will bog my brain and I either give up and gladly quit, or I stress over the job until it is finished. On the other hand, there are the times that I have fallen back on the ‘ole “drop and tuck” method, letting whatever would happen, happen.

I have an image of the person that I should be. In my head, I can keep the house all cleaned up, while cooking a roast beef in the oven. My husband is very happy to see me every day and greets me with a kiss because he can’t wait to taste the sweetness of my lips. Ha, yeah, that brought a smile to my face too. ;-) My school papers are always graded and the lesson plans are done weekly by Thursday afternoon. Ha, ha, ha, ha…that is so funny, it’s hilarious! Anyway, we can dream can’t we? If you ever see me drop and tuck though, have a heart and pick me up. It just means that life has overwhelmed me and I’m letting what will happen, happen.

Here is another good quote we all can learn from.
Luke 12:25-28
25 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not! 26 And if worry can't do little things like that, what's the use of worrying over bigger things? 27 "Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?

1 comment:

Kyle said...

That is a great verse and one I try to live by. That and the one that says, "I've learned to be content in whatever circumstance I find myself.

Powered By Blogger