March 4, 2006

Spring Changes

I've begun "Spring Cleaning". I'm not cleaning out closets, taking down curtains, or washing windows. No, this spring cleaning is strictly for myself. When I woke up this morning, my breakfast was planned by the South Beach Diet. A couple of years ago I went on the SBD and lost around 30+ pounds. Now that I've gained it all back, its time to go back to the Beach. I joined the SBD online site and with the help of the meal planner, I can log on, track my progress, and get my meal plans complete with shopping list. There is even a journal where I can write my feelings and observations as I lose the weight. The first two weeks is designed as a quick start to lose up to 10+ pounds. It worked before and if I'll be faithful to the diet, I am certain it will happen again.

After getting my diet underway, it was time to get my long hair cut. The beautician cut around 6-7 inches off of my hair. It feels great and looks pretty nice if I do say so myself. Now all I have to do is dye it. It won't be anything different though, I like my blonde color. I'm just not too fond of the gray that has been peeking out around my roots. No telling just how gray this 'ole mare really is. Yikes!

Next week I plan to visit Curves and get my exercise program set up. Back when I worked out at Curves before, it was very benefical to not only to my weight lose, but also to my overall mental health. My plan is to try to workout at least 3 to 4 times a week after I get off work. It should give me a boost of energy and relieve the day's stress. I know from past experience that even if I go in feeling down and tired, in 30 minutes I will emerge feeling much better.

Finally, I want to see my doctor for a check up. This older body has developed aches and pains that I'm sure some medication and excercise will help. I'd like to live a long time so I can see my grandchildren grow up. I want to see graduations, marriages, and hopefully even a great-grandchild or two.

Okay. There it is for all to see. I'm going to get better at being a better person. Spring is here and it is just the right time to rejuvenate myself.

Next weekend maybe I'll get a pedicure and a manicure...oh heck, maybe even a massage. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lost 20+ pounds since Thanksgiving on the South Beach Diet, on and off ... off for Christmas ... off last week while traveling .. etc. Now I'm having a hard time getting back on.

I didn't know about the website ... I'll check it out.

Per your suggestion a few years ago, I joined Curves, too. And it worked really well for a while. Now I can't seem to get there when they're open ... and the new machines don't fit me as well as the older ones. We cleaned the backyard today and turned the heater on the pool on ... so it's swimming time for me. My routine is to go into the pool and move(swim, excercise, etc.) for the 30 minutes it takes for the hot tub to heat up .. then a relaxing few minutes in the hot tub ... ahhhh. You're welcome to come over any time for a swim ;)

Can't wait to see the new haircut :)

Brock Paulk said...

ML,

Be careful about Curves. One of our secretary's from church, who's in her late 30's, went there for her first workout and came away with two broken legs! The doctor she went to says that he gets lots of cases from there because the nature of the stations causes way too much impact on bones. He advised her that it's mostly because of running in place, etc, rather than moving forward. If you call me at work, I'll be glad to put you in touch with her and let you get more details. She was on crutches for weeks. It was a bad deal.

Blessings,

Mary Lou said...

Well thank you for that information Brock. I'll certainly be careful. I used to go to curves and did pretty good. There was a station I did skip because of pressure on my knees. That is really bad about your secretary's legs too. I certainly don't want that. I'll take that into consideration.
Thanks for the heads up.

Mary Lou said...

Wendy, you swim and hot tub sound wonderful. I'd love to join you one day. My doctor told me that swimming was the best exercise for my athritis in my hips. Well that's what she thinks that it sounds like, she didn't exray or anything like that. Yeah, I not very consistent with a diet. I'll do great for a couple of months and then get off of it. I hope I take off a lot of weight before I crash this time.

Jason said...

I don't think I told you that Kari and I began South Beach last week. We are currently in the second week of phase 1, and my carb cravings are as strong as ever. (I don't care what that book says, I WANT MY CARBS!!)

Kari actually talked me into SBD by saying that she would make all of the breakfasts and lunches, and most of the dinners. I think she just wanted someone to go through it with her, and I was reluctant, given all of the things I'm doing right now. I'm doing the bath and bedtime for the kids more often to make up for the imbalance, but I still think I'm getting the better deal. I was just glad to not have to think about what I'm going to eat every day. Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Deana Nall said...

LOVE the hair. But I told you that already. :)

In the last couple of years, my mom has gotten herself into great shape. She was sort of forced into it by a diabetes diagnosis, but she loves her new lifestyle and is so energetic and happy. She has lost a lot of weight (we can share clothes now) and either walks, swims or does Pilates every day. She has been so strict about her diet that she hasn't had to go on insulin. She feels great and just seems to embrace life so much more. I'm saying all this to tell you that the effort is so worth it!If you ever want to go walking in the evenings (or mornings in the summers or on school breaks) please give me a call!

Powered By Blogger