March 10, 2006

Beaches and Wagons

As I wrote last Saturday, I have gone back on the South Beach Diet. A diet that I have every confidence will help me shed the pounds I've put back on over the past 2 years. I have lost a whopping 3 pounds since Saturday. I guess that isn't too bad for 5 days. It should have been more. I have dutifully done without my Cheerios in the morning and my bread the rest of the day. Yea, me. Well, I really shouldn't cheer me yet because I have fudged just ever so slightly on a few no-no's. But not so badly that I wasn't still losing weight...until yesterday.

In Dr. Agatston's first book (the blue one), many successful SBD followers have written their testimonies. They are written for encouragement to the ones of us plodding through the weeks in less weighty, healthy bodies. One of the testimony titles caught my eye, "If you fall off the wagon occasionally, you hop back on." One thing I know about myself is that I give into my temptations on a regular basis. I have no stamina for staying with a diet or abstinence. I like breads, cookies, snacking on Fritos and drinking a spirited cocktail. None of which I should be imbibing for my health's sake.

I am a stress eater/drinker. I get upset or stressed or tired and I reach for food and drink to comfort. Not a good thing and I really want to work on that. I have done fairly decently since I started the diet and then came Thursday. It was the day that Satan made to knock me off center. I came home from work to my usual food and drink comforters. So, I fell off the wagon...not a lot, but enough that I probably won't see a smaller number on my bathroom scales tomorrow.

So, today I'm back "on the wagon". What I have discovered by giving up the bad foods and especially drinks, is that I sleep better. I sleep all through the night and wake up surprised that the entire night passed and I slept through it. I even dream, which is something an interrupted night never allowed me to remember before. So, here's to a better day at the beach and a better ride on the wagon.

Say a little prayer for all of the people that are in a battle with their own human desires. Its a battle, but with Christ's help, we can win.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I recomend that massage. You deserve it.

Powered By Blogger