February 18, 2006

Age to Age

Last Thursday our school faculty gave a baby shower to a young teacher expecting her first baby. I remember our first baby shower and the anticipation of our first child. Here is a young woman embarking on that part of a woman's life that I am now miles away from.

Then today my husband and I attended a special birthday party for a friend's mom who is turning 90 years old. I felt young in the presense of this person almost a century old.

I guess I'm pretty sensitive to how old I am and how I'm aging. When I look at the scales I know that if I'd just quit drinking and eating so many sweets that I'd lose weight and look younger. I also think that if I'd get rid of my glasses and get contacts it would improve my appearance. Maybe a haircut and a new style would give youth to my look.

I'm glad to have passed my twenties and that my children are all grown up now. I didn't mind diapers and bottles back then, but I'm glad that the only ones I change and feed today are my grandchildren.

I know that at 53 years old I still have 40 years before I have that very special birthday party. That makes me feel pretty good about how old I am.

However, I know that if I want to get to that 90th birthday party that I'd better take better care of myself. I love holding those newborn babies and knowing they are not mine, spoil them just a little bit. I told my young expecting teacher friend that after her baby comes, I'd love to sit with the baby one afternoon.

Life changes and goes from young to old in the same space. It just boggles my mind sometimes to think about this road of life that I'm on. I've passed a lot of mildstones in my life and still have many to come.

Just something to ponder.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. When Katie's good friend Erica had her baby in November, I realized a milestone ... I no longer had that desire for a baby of my own, but for a grandchild. Not yet, of course, but I remember that longing for one day ... something I hadn't ever felt before.

And now, as Katie finishes her senior year, I am very tearful ... almost all the time. I am so proud of her and I am convinced she is as ready as can be to head off to Denton next year, but I know how I'm going to miss her everyday presence, and I'll only have memories and photographs of the last 16 years.

Mary Lou said...

Wendy,
With Katie graduating at 16 years old, that's really hard on a mom. At least I had 3 boys to go through before I was totally at home with an empty nest. By the time Ryan left, I was okay with it. But I did cry with each one that left. It was a little bit emptier. You'll make it through that first year of her being gone and then it'll be just fine. Trust me.

Yes, it is one of those milestones of our life.

Anonymous said...

We're purposely NOT hosting another exchange student next year in order to "embrace" the empty nest ... we're actually looking forward to it, but also sad. I'm sure you know what I mean. I know I'll be fine ... partly because Katie makes me so proud ... and partly because I'm hoping to make some large steps in my career over the next couple of years ... like work on the book God keeps laying before me. :)

Mary Lou said...

That's probably a good idea. It is a time of reevaluating who we are. I don't know about you, but I was never really on my own. I went from college to being married. Then we were only alone for a year and a half before we started having children. When they started going to college, little by little my motherly habits faded. Those mothers that feel like they have to know all about their college schedules, activities, etc.,... Too much information for me. I wanted to know what they wanted to share with me. I wanted them to become independent of me and work on being on their own person. Now that all 3 boys are married, I am proud of their accomplishments and the fact they are settled, stable and responsible adults. Its a new feeling and I love it. I like being their mom but also their friend. Something that wasn't an option for us while they were growing up. You'll like that part a lot with Katie.

Powered By Blogger