March 14, 2005

What Do I Know?

Today my school got to see the TAKS scores on the reading test my 50 third grade students took back in February. Forty one of that number passed and I felt okay with that. However it isn't over yet. There are the 9 that will need more help to pass the retest in April. Today I found out that it is up to me to bring them up to passing. My daily schedule is going to change starting in one day so that I can teach the 9 children that did not pass the TAKS. I will have them in class for 2 1/2 hours in contrast to the 1 1/2 hours I teach them now. My regular classes will have a substitute to teach them during my remediation period. That means more lesson plans. I'm not a fan of making out lesson plans. I suddently feel inadequate for the job. As I stare at the three diplomas hanging on my wall above my desk with my name I am thinking, "What do I know? Can I help them to pass this test?" I'm a scholar of education. I have 30 years of experience in the teaching field. That doesn't matter. This is real and not in a book.
Easter Holidays in two weeks.
ML

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TAKS is not what teaching is all about... TAKS is not why teachers became teachers... What happened to the three R's... Oh, that's right, it's spelled differently now...T-A-K-S...

I know this is a headache & a pain in the derrerier (sorry, I think I spelled that wrong)...but if those 9 students are able to pass the April retest, what a sense of accomplishment they should be allowed to celebrate... YOU, too....

I love soapbox derbies...

Powered By Blogger