March 17, 2005

My job is over at 3:30??

As least my job shouldn't have to go beyond the normal workday. However, I'm finding that as a school teacher, we have to work a whole lot more hours than a banker. Of course, having taught school over 25 years, I have known this well known fact for a long time now.

This evening I am suppose to go back to my school and stay for 1 1/2 hours longer just to let the parents see my classroom. If they want to see it, they can schedule an appointment and come in to talk to me about their little darlings. There is also a Book Fair in progress in our library and I suspect that most of the parents will take their children to buy books. That is just fine with me, but then I'll be stuck in my class room when I could be at home with my feet propped up watching TV while I grade papers. (Still on the job.)

You know, I should have done more research on careers when I was in college. Maybe I'd be working as a sweet librarian shelving books and working in a quieter environment. I could probably go home at a decent time with no homework. It would be nice to know that when I got sick that I wouldn't have to drag my sickly self to the computer and log on to get a substitute. Even after I cover the day with a sub, the lessons plans have to be rewritten for any regular Joe to understand. The worksheets, workbooks and pencils have to be put where they can be found. What is more, on the day I return to my classroom, books and other supplies will be out of place and left strode all around the room because the sub didn't remind the class to pick up. In addition I will return to notes left by the sub on all the misconduct that my class got into while I was absent.

Yes, shelving library books or working in a small bookstore is looking better and better.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Bad day? It's St. Patty's Day, go have a Margarita. I know that it's not Irish, but it is green.

Anonymous said...

OOOOh...soapbox derby...I sympathize and agree working in a small bookstore would be the ultimate...want to open one?
Surely Barnes & Nobles wouldn't mind a little competition from a couple of grannies... We could work all day ordering & stacking books and have green tea on St.Patty's Day...that's not Irish, nor is it green but it sure is good for you....

Powered By Blogger