March 15, 2005

Fiddler On the Roof

That movie is on TV tonight. I've seen it so many times on film and stage that I don't have to even be in the same room with the set. I know the images as I hear the dialog and practically recall the lines. Yet I am still moved by it's message. Traditions and change are inevitable and the father, Tevia, feels that he just can't give into all of the changes and be true to God. I am especially moved by his continual conversation with God. He always looks to God for a sign, a message that what he is doing is the right thing to do. God is ever present and with us in times of change and times of idle contemplation.

I relate to Tevia very much. He wants to do what he has been taught that God would want. Even so his own family persuades him to push the envelope and evaluate what is truly God's will. It never ceases to make me stop and think about my own faith.

ML

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I am increasingly placing Fiddler... closer to the top of my best all time list. Amanda was watching it in the other room tonight and, like you, I didn't have to be in there to see it. Although, it's beautifully filmed, so in parts where I knew that a great moment was coming I'd rush in to see it. It is a great message, filled with tragedy and hope at the same time.

Powered By Blogger