May 4, 2009

Louise, Mama, Big Mama

Louise Bernice Bond Ritchey, lovingly called "Big Mama" by our sons, passed away on May 4, 1993. The photo here was taken March 2, 1984 on her birthday.

May 4th, around 3:00 a.m., I was in Port Neches standing at my mother's bedside with my sister-in-law's mom who was helping tend to Mother. Barbara wrapped her arms around me as we both watched Mama take one last breath and leave. In the middle of the night, we stood there watching and breathing our own sighs of relief that Mom's struggle with cancer had ended.

I miss my mom and the impulsive last minute decisions I'd make to drive the hour trip to Pt. Neches just for a visit. The impulse to go, still comes without resolution. In 1993, on spring, sun-laden days in late April/early May, most of my drives were alone to be with Mom who lay dying of cancer. My oldest brother, Johnny, had already been there helping the best way he could. My other brother would join us at our childhood home the day before Mama passed away. My daddy lay awake in bed, confused as to why we were all there; had symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. It was such a blessing to have my big strong brothers there to share the heavy grief as we made important, life-changing decisions. I was especially blessed to have Barbara there to hold me as we stayed those last moments with Mama's body. On that day and in years to come, my husband and his family have allowed me the separation from the surreal circumstance. I don't believe I could have made it through the ordeal without my beloved Kim for the mental support he provided.

Even though Mama has been gone for 16 years, it doesn't seem that long ago since we were together laughing in her kitchen. Mom was a great cook and loved to feed her family on holidays or anytime any of us were at their house. I mainly provided conversation, set the table or made a salad, while watching her cook. I miss her as much as I miss all the family gatherings we used to have with my brothers' families, my grandmother and all my aunts, uncles and cousins. All of that seemed to stop when Mama died.

Mom and Dad are together in heaven now with their sibblings and parents. Someday we will all be together again for a grand reunion.

I love and miss you every day, Mom.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

This made me sad, then happy. I have many of the same feelings about my dad. I know I am so blessed to have had my mom with me for this long. She still makes me laugh!

Mary Lou said...

Sort of been a sad/happy day for me too. Yes, your mom is adorable. I know at our ages we all miss our loved ones that have gone on to "glory". Its just the way it is.

Powered By Blogger