May 28, 2009

Slow...almost...Summer Days


This is one of those days when I'd like to be sitting under a tall oak tree sipping a mint julep. Being at home alone during the day has its advantages, but sometimes when the sun is shining, the cats are sleeping, there are no pressing needs and lazy trumpet sounds play on the CD player; I'm inclined to do nothing at all.

The outdoor patio chairs seem to be beckoning me to sit, linger, sip a cool crisp Chardonnay and exert no energy whatsoever. As much as I would have enjoyed a relaxing afternoon of simply staring into the green surroundings of my backyard, I resisted the temptation. Besides, at the time my patio desperately needs a chaise lounge, our new patio table to be assembled, and the big umbrella set up in order to truly be sublime. Perhaps a gentle breezy fan would also aide the stirring of the air across my face and shoulders on this warm day. Ah, yes, that would be truly nice.

It takes a while for me to get into the rhythm of a slow day. In the beginning, I'm restless and even...dare I say...bored? As I do not have a set agenda, the day leaves numerous options to keep me busy. Now that summer is upon me, I realize that much is still to be completed around my house. That so called office space is in real need of a make-over in order to be a more productive room. This lingering day with nothing better to do is tasking to say the least. HGTV would be the way to go if I could just persuade David Bromstad that I need his expertise in my office.

Although, a mire fraction of effort went into a plan for today, I did manage to move small piles of disarray in our office. An adequately sized room with a Mission style daybed heaped high with clutter, a small bookcase housing a complete set of World Book Encyclopedias, a two-drawer wooden file cabinet filled with paper-shredding material, a Mission style computer desk sans computer, a wheeled black desk chair and oddities of one sort or the other; the space resembles a college dorm room more than an office. Since so much stuff comes into this house on a daily basis with no assigned storage, it tends to be shuffled into the office. Our office has slowly become, against my wishes, a junk room. Although, much of said, "junk" are important documents, theater catalogs, tote bags and books, it is unwanted stuff just the same. If ever a file cabinet needed weeding out, ours does. Papers with dates back to 1987 were found. Blank letterhead from companies for which we are no longer employed will soon become drawing paper for my grandchildren. Play scripts, books, high school and college annuals, a whole set of Bible commentaries are filling the cubby holes and shelf areas in the room's closet along with plastic crates filled with photographs and albums. Old theater props, a huge exercise ball accepted from a friend who no doubt didn't used it either, and my guitar that I occasionally play, all share the same closet space as our eclectic range of books. The closet is also in dire need of weeding.

As mentioned before, this is a slow day. Many times today I stopped to consider where else I might drive to occupy my time otherwise; an antique store, a shoe store or perhaps the liquor store for ingredients to mix a nice mint julep cocktail. Instead, here I sit, checking my email and writing on my blog. The music has changed to soothing tones of a deep contemporary cello.

Daydreaming aside, it is I who will have to force myself back into the little room to organize, throw away and regroup. Maybe by the time June is over, I'll have completed the project or Carter Oosterhouse will agree to lean a hand. Now I really must get back to reality.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger