June 23, 2007

Friends and Freedom

Last week a couple of friends and I spent time together in a lake house overlooking very picturesque waters. Blue skies speckled by various species of birds provided relaxed entertainment as we looked out over the lake. The time away from families and home concerns allowed the three of us to retreat for 4 days of R & R. What a treat!

Our days usually started out between 7:00 and 7:30 a.m. Since we are not able to sleep as late as in our younger years, we rose early. Each morning, one by one we poured our cup of coffee and moved to the porch where we sat in the gentle breeze as we observed the day waking up. Since we had no real obligations, we were in no hurry to cook breakfast. Gowns were the uniforms of the morning and no one seemed to care that make up had not touched our faces. The days were liberating from all of the daily tasks we would normally do in our real life back in the suburbs.

There is something to be said for the friendships we have. Many areas of our lives correspond making our conversations effortless. Altogether our family statistics are as follows: 3 first-time husbands (no divorces), 8 children (7 boys, 1 girl), 5 daughters in law, 1 son in law, SIX grandchildren (3 boys, 3 girls), and 5 family pets (3 dogs, 2 cats). Our careers all involved working in public education, 1 nurse, 1 principal, and 1 classroom teacher. We have similar religious backgrounds and currently attend the same church. Although we are all different, our respect for each other coupled with our similarities, made our week an effortless time together.

I loved that my friends treated me to a visit to a spa where we all got a most relaxing massage. I was so relaxed that I felt I was falling asleep. What a treat indeed!

We have now returned to our normal lives. Well, I say "normal", my husband is out of town on vacation. He first visited Charlotte, North Carolina where he participated in the American Association of Community Theater festival. He has kept in touch through emails and cell phones. In addition, Kim has set up a website to blog and photojournal a road trip he and his dad are beginning today. His dad drove up to NC to pick Kim up and they are setting out on a road trip together. I think that it is awesome that the two of them are getting to experience this journey together.

Well as much as I don't really like being separated from my husband, it is a good thing for us to do this. He gets to spend time with his dad doing a lot of the things that only the two of them enjoy and I get to spend time with friends and family that I don't normally get to be with.

Bring on the summer!

2 comments:

Nellie said...

What a great description of our "week at the lake." We simply must make that an annual event! And, one slight correction: we have SIX grandchildren: 3 boys, 3 girls. Our newest one probably slipped your mind - ha!

The location was breath taking and the food absolutely delicious, and oh so healty; but, the company of good friends was beyond enjoyable. Such friendship is truly a gift. Thanks for being my friend, ML! I love you, girl!

Mary Lou said...

Well, my face is red! I can't believe I missed that little fellow. I made the change and I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out too. Love you. ML

Powered By Blogger