June 11, 2007

Yardwork


That is my back yard. Looks pretty nice, huh? That was last summer. Then, summer ended and we had to go back to work teaching school and that was probably the last time the yard was groomed as well. Kim continued to mow the lawn, but time just didn't allow us to edge the hedges, rake the leaves and weed the plants. So, now three seasons later, the plant beds are so overgrown they could almost pass for the rainforest floor.

This yard has been unkept long enough and today I attempted to right the wrong. Of course, summer down here means the days start out warm and grow hotter as the sun rises. I began my work in 93 degree humidity. Armed with bottle water, gloves, a cap and a slathering of sunscreen on my face, I attempted to trim the wild, out of control hedges along the walkway to the house. After, getting stabbed by the green "sticker bush" next to the garage numerous times and even extracting a thorn from my finger, I decided the devil bush had to go. However, I was not successful in getting it to release its roots from the ground. I opted for cutting it back severely and waiting for Kim to come home and finish the job.

The lull of summer stillness and the warmth of the sun made the work very laborious. My feet and legs felt like I was wearing sand bags. The electric edger workout made my biceps very sore. So, I declared it lunchtime and retreated inside for cooler temperatures. As I sat for a moment longer reading, I discovered my eyes had shut. It felt so good I thought about staying in the chair and napping for a while. Even though I was sleepy, there was still work to do outside. and the weeds were growing as I snoozed.

After wrestling with the weedwacker, I managed to get it started. I wacked the grass and weeds around the bushes and edged the sidewalks all around the house and beds. Kim cleaned up my mess and I stood under a soothing shower. The yardwork couldn't be completed in one day. Its hard work and I don't enjoy it, but if it will get us out of the jungle, its a job worth doing. Tomorrow is another day to sweat as I get my yard back into shape. Perhaps soon I can attach a more recent photo and you won't even know the difference.

1 comment:

sarahdawn said...

I think weeding flower beds is my least favortie yard chore ever. At our old house we didn't have flower beds. Now I do and it just seems that with 3 kids I NEVER have the time to go deal with them. And it's too hot, and there are bugs, and, and, and.......

Powered By Blogger