June 6, 2007

Summer Slow Down


Summer....
warm, lazy, carefree, relaxing, happy, sunshine, nature, leisure, slow music, grateful!

With one long drink of summer, my world slows down. As I look out my kitchen window this morning, I see a lot of green. It is so luscious,beautiful, and a bit out of control. The beautiful black and yellow butterfly fluttering around my patio seems to approve of the green foliage. Although, I imagine that she wishes for a few more flowers from which to sip sweet juice.

The picture above was made at Crystal Beach on the northeast side of Galveston about two summers ago. That was an extremely relaxing summer vacation. The beach is such a peaceful place as the waves crest and crash on the sandy surface. The sound of the seagulls can be a tad irritating at times, but the graceful ease with which the birds glide through the sky is captivating to watch. Lines of brown pelicans float just above the salty waves
searching for breakfast. Lovely to view and consider as one sits on the tall porches of a beach house observing nature. Now that, my friend, is summer at its best. Slow, easy and peaceful.

Many of my friends and family enjoy travel. True travelers will have those bags packed and vehicle aimed forward the first morning of summer vacation. They thrive on the hustle-bustle pace that an airport or car trip will put them through. With itinerary in hand, a shoulder bag and a brief cast in the other, they hurry through security gates or traverse through traffic intent on making the most out of their vacation. Not this summer, not me, and not this time. This is going to be a summer to drink in the slow down that only a warm season can bring.

Rather than you think that I'm going to be a lazy bum all summer long, in my defense, I do have a plan. This summer is the summer to clean out, organize, rearrange and pull this place where we live together. (That is if I can pry myself from the soft jazz music playing through my iPod and this chair.) Part of the revamp involves my body and mind as I get in better shape. All will be a tall enough order that I won't have time to travel much further than a trip around the block, hopefully, by foot or bicycle.

My track record for such things as I've outlined in the above paragraph is in the low numbers. A major character flaw holding me back is that I procrastinate, put off, give up, sidetrack and in general, lose focus. So, prayers are welcome that I will accomplish and succeed this summer as I slow down to improve. Target areas for improvement are my living conditions, my attitude, my health, and my mind.

Summer "...be prepared in season and out of season."

2 comments:

Nellie said...

What a fabulous description of relaxation. Love the "new look." You will need to come over to my house and help me update my blog. Maybe then I will blog more often. Looking forward to our walk in a little bit. It's going to be a good summer, ML!

Anonymous said...

Dwayne and I just decided to take a week's vacation at a Beach house near Crystal Beach. We don't intend on doing anything but relax ... yeah.

Putting your intentions in writing for the world to see is one way to keep yourself motivated. Good going. I wish I had as much resolve.

Powered By Blogger