July 2, 2005

To My Brother in Christ

Early this morning a friend, that I rarely saw anymore, died. He had cancer that was terminal from the first detection this past spring. Patrick was a unique person and one that I enjoyed knowing. The first time I met him was in the church auditorium where I attend. It wasn't a regular service time, but our preacher asked us to join him there to witness the baptism of Patrick. He was so happy to be a Christian and showed it by getting involved. I don't mean involved in church programs. I mean involved in people's lives for the sake of the Lord. There aren't many people that show their enthusiasm for being a Christian quite like Patrick did.

Patrick and his wife Denise lived in my neighborhood and on several occasions we found ourselves in each others' homes. Kim used to lead a Bible study at our house once a week. Patrick was always there and on a few occasions was the only other person there besides us. I remember one time in our study that I took issue with referring to myself as a saint because clearly I was a sinner. I don't remember what scripture we read, but Ephesian 6:18 comes to mine. Patrick explained to me that yes while we were sinners, Christ died for us and made us saints because we are God's children. I remember being very taken back by that which I had never before considered. I never knew that I was one of the saints.

I was sad when Patrick and his family stopped attending church with us. I never saw as much of them anymore. I never knew exactly why they decided to leave and go somewhere else, but we were still friends and I would occasionally see Patrick or Denise around town. It saddens me now that I won't see him again. He was a man working to straighten out his life and help others along the way. He helped me more than once.

Patrick leaves his wife Denise and a young daughter who will surely miss him dearly. My heart and sympathies go out to them.

In my mind I see Patrick sitting on a cloud swinging his legs, grinning from ear to ear, and patting his open Bible on his lap. He's doing this with anticipation because in usual Patrick fashion, he has a scripture that he wants to discuss with The Maker and he can hardly wait. I'll miss the chance meeting that I might have with Patrick as we go about our daily lives in this town. That is okay because Patrick is right where he always dreamed he'd be, with the Lord.

Goodbye to my brother in Christ.
Patrick left this world July 2, 2005 at 6:00 a.m.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I remember him! I had no idea he had cancer. I remember him as being very animated and excitable, but passsionate about life in general. I think I remember the reason he and Denise left MoSt was because he desired a bit more charisma in church, but I may be wrong. Didn't he help out when Duchess was hit by the car?

Mary Lou said...

Yes that's Patrick. And yes he helped the night Duchess was hit. He took us to the vet in his truck. We go to his funeral on WED. at the Baptist church. I'm not sure about him wanting more charimsa in church, but he certainly wanted more passion.

Kyle said...

That's increadibly sad. I didn't know about this either. I remember Patrick very well. He was such a great guy.

Powered By Blogger