July 7, 2005

Words of the Day

Explosions, terrorist, mass destruction, attacks, security, orange alert.

We woke up this morning to news of bombings to the London transit system. The "tube" as the Britains call it, was bombed three times and then a fourth bombing to a double-decker bus. Memories of where I was and how I felt on September 11 as terrorist flew jumbo jets into the World Trade Twin Towers in New York, the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and a remote place in Pennsylvania where an additional airplane, taken over by terrorist, crashed as brave people prevented an attack to another government building, has been rerunning through my mind.

As I type this I am listening to CNN report a confirmed dead of 37 people and 700 injured in London. They expect the numbers to go higher. Our nation is under "orange" alert. The U. S. is taking extra precautions because of the bombings in England. Even though at this time, there are no threats to New York, police are on alert. In fact every large transit system in the nation is taking the same precautions.

Before I began this post I scrolled through various blogs of other Blogspot members. Many posts written in other languages such as Mexican, French, German, were also blogging this morning about the tragedy in London. There is something about seeing posts from other countries discussing the same tragedy and listening to national leaders on television voice their support for London and their sympathies for the fallen families, that makes me realize all humanity is related. A common event effecting all nations pulls people together to fight against the evil and support the victims of those acts of evil. My mind is boggled at this notion of so many in the world in effect relating and talking about the same terrible event. The news media is even talking about this outpouring of support from other countries for Great Britain.

President Bush said we will spread an ideology of hope and compassion and overwhelm the attacker's passion of hate. Prime Minister Tony Blair concluded his remarks with "We shall prevail and they shall not."

Proverbs 24:19-20 "Do not fret because of evil or be envious of the wicked, for the evil man has no future hope, and the lamp of the wicked will be snuffed out."

As Christians we know that in the end, God will rule supreme.
Revelations 19:1-2 "...Hallelujah! Salvation and glory and power belong to our God, for true and just are his judgments."

7 comments:

Jason said...

The odd thing is that the terrorist see America, Britain, et al. as spreading the ideology of hate. If we are to win this "war", I believe we must first assess if we are doing anything to egg them on, albeit unknowingly. We can't simply flex our military and technological might, and expect to win. That's how we got here in the first place.

Mary Lou said...

Good point. Its a vicious circle of hate, aggression, hate, fighting back and who has the "upper hand". Where's the love?

Kyle said...

Last night at the Astros game, before the National Anthem wew took a moment of silence to show solidarity with the British. This made me happy because sometimes I feel that we tend to ignore things that aren't happening to us. If it doesn't concern us then why make a big deal of it. But I'm glad that we are making a big deal about this, because, as you mentioned, it really doesn't matter if we are American, British, Russian, or Iraqie, we are all human and all connected. I do wonder what the American attitude would have been like if the attack would have happened against the French. Humans also tend to say, "told you so." But the fact that it did happen to the UK reiterates what Jason said.

Mary Lou said...

I know a lot of American's would not be as kind had it been the French that were attacked. But I would (be kind) and a lot of other people would be kind too, even to the French. Besides I want the French/Åmerican connect to improve...I want to visit there someday. Viva la France!

Nellie said...

It is quite unsettling to say the least to see and hear about the attacks on London. My heart and prayers go out to all of those directly affected.

I take a small issue with what Kyle said about our country not always caring what happens somewhere else. That may be true in some instances, but I couldn't help but think about how our country responded to the tsunami victims, to the poverty, etc in Africa and to many other situations in the past that involved the loss of human dignity and life. I guess I'm a little sensitive to some of the comments due to my own very strong military family background and knowing some of the things that take place outside our country that many civilians don't hear about, although we hear a lot about reported atrocities by the military. (Small editorial comment.) :)

We are far from a perfect nation. I do not agree with all of the politicizing (sp.?) and rhetoric that we hear from both of the major parties in our country. But I would challenge any other country to show that they have been any more helpful than the USA in times of trouble for other world locations.

Skip is reading over my shoulder and added that there is only one way to stop terrorism and that is to stop terrorists.

I'm not sure how we do that. It is going to take greater minds than mine working together to come up with an answer.

I just continue to be blessed to live in a country where we can express our views and agree to disagree.

Won't it be grand in heaven where none of this will happen and peace and joy will reign forever?

Deana Nall said...

Last year in the pick-up line at Travis, it almost never failed for me to end up in line behind a black SUV with a sticker that said "Boycott France." I always wanted to lean my head out the window and yell "For WHAT??!!!"

Take me to France with you when you go!

Deb said...

Hi, ML. Thanks for your kind prayers and thoughts. I have posted some more 'updates' with some prayer requests closer to home. I really feel for those recovery workers now who are trying to do their job in such awful conditions, especially on the Picadilly Line (140-degrees F and rats). They are doing thier best to help families of those missing loved ones to know what's going on.

Although today's technology can wreak such godless havoc and devastation, it is also a tremendous blessing in the amazing way is spreads the awesome blanket of prayer for God's love, guidance, comfort, and strength (among other things).

Blessings!

Powered By Blogger