April 30, 2010

Out of Sync Part One

This morning I exchanged colored napkins for a wedding shower that didn’t match the “watermelon” theme. To be honest, even I could see that the hot pink napkins I chose was not working with the pretty shades of red print chosen to use on the tables. Yesterday I had to exchange the cups bought for the same occasion. I particularly wanted the clear glass-like plastic cups for the shower and not the opaque ones used for picnics. Not the ones bought for the shower. So, I thanked the person who had bought them and as I received the opaque cups, told myself it didn’t matter. Nonetheless, after spending too much time in the customer service line at Wal-Mart, to traipse back through the aisles of the large department store only to find out they in fact didn’t carry a clear plastic cup, was more than I could stand at that time. Therefore, I left with the refund cash in hand and the smug confidence that I would locate the perfect clear cup.

Making subsequent stops at Target, Hobby Lobby and the party store at the mall, I thought I was going to have to repurchase the original opaque cups I had returned. Why was I so obsessed? Problem is when you know that the less desired cups cost was only $5.00 for 100 cups; it makes spending $15.00 for 100 a strain.

Tired from all the walking in and out of stores, my next stop was Kroger’s to do grocery shopping. Much to my surprise and pleasure, there on the shelf of Kroger’s were clear plastic cups, in 50 count packages for only $1.00 more than the opaque cups. Joy! Also, to add icing to the cake, the cups were the perfect 16-ounce size.

Why do we let insignificant things like napkin colors and clear or opaque cups bother us? Things that are not in sync really bother me and they shouldn’t.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger