December 10, 2007

Christmas with the Guys (and Gals)

This is our youngest son, Ryan, and his Pekingese dog, Augustus. They are sporting the latest in Christmas fashion, the Rudolph Blinking Nose. I couldn't resist snapping a picture of those "reindeer".

Here it is two and a half weeks from Christmas Day and my tree is up, stockings are hung and decorations are set out around the house. Never did decorating for Christmas happen this early before I retired from teaching school. I not only have one tree up in our living room, but I even have another small 4 foot tree in the breakfast area. My grandson, Aidan was visiting with us Saturday. He and I had fun decorating the little tree with my old school ornaments. He was so patient with me as I fumbled around trying to find a short string of lights that worked.

This is the first Christmas since all three of my sons were married that "the schedule" is working out. You all are probably familiar with a "schedule" of some sort around the holidays. That is where the married kids have to share the holidays with their own families and the in-laws. Thanksgiving is spent with one spouse's family, then Christmas with the other side. The next year the schedule flip-flops. They will have Thanksgiving at the house where they had Christmas the previous year, and Christmas with the family they had Thanksgiving with last year. So, my boys have been trying to make that plan work for several years now and for one reason or another, it had not worked. This year the boys spent Thanksgiving with their in-laws and we get all of them here for Christmas Day. Needless to say, I'm thrilled to have our family together for this holiday.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger