December 14, 2007

Xmas

I must give some credit here to Heartlight.org for the picture. I was drawn to the tiny toes peeking out from the little blanket.

The photograph shows a well crafted manger and the baby has some nice "swaddling clothes" wrapped around him. Although, I would venture to guess that the manger Jesus lay in was not even as nice as the one in the picture. Luke didn't say anything about the accommodations other than, "...there was no room for them in the inn." Surely, Mary or Joseph put more cloth over all of that itchy hay for the infant of royal lineage. It could be that Jesus was like the princess in the Hans Christian Andersen tale The Princess and the Pea. If the noble skin of royalty could feel a mere pea beneath the weight of many mattresses, just think what all of that hay felt like under one thin layer of cloth swaddled around King Jesus. Ouch!

The birth of Baby Jesus is written in the Holy Bible in the books of Matthew and Luke, but not in Mark or John. The latter books get straight to the point of Jesus ministry as an adult. Were it not for Matthew and especially Luke's account, we might not even know about the manger and the lack of rooms in the inn. I wonder, if it were not for the writers, Matthew and Luke, how our celebrations at Christmas might be today.

While growing up in a conservative Church of Christ family at Christmas, there was no more emphasis than usual about the birth of Jesus The church we attended basically said that we celebrated the birth, burial and resurrection of our Christ each time we assembled together as a church body, which was basic theology of the time in many congregations of that particular belief. Today, many Church of Christ congregations honor the Birth of Jesus in Christmas pageants and carols sung during worship services on and leading up to December 25.

Of course, another reason I was told we didn't celebrate Jesus' birth at this time was because no one really knows the exact date that Jesus was born. As a child, I accepted those teachings and just thought all those other religions were misinformed and were making a lot of noise about a non birth on December 25.

Maturity and knowledge, of course, has taught me that it is perfectly acceptable to acknowledge the birth of Jesus on December 25. Still, it is difficult for me to think of the Baby Jesus first over all the elements surrounding the Christmas season. Even though Christmas is literally a mass, or festival, for Christ, I still think about decorated trees, Santa Claus and wrapped presents first when gearing up for this time of year. Those are ingrained teachings of my childhood. Jesus, I think about everyday, on Sundays and "anytime the saints assemble to worship".

December 25 is just a date in time to me. The date has no more meaning for me as a Christian than any other day. Now I hope that doesn't sound sacrilege to any one reading this blog. It is not my intention to shake any religious foundations or upset my brothers and sisters in Christ. Nor do I wish to imply by my title, Xmas, that I want to take Christ out of Christmas. In fact, if you followed the link, you'll notice "this X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ),used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ")." Therefore, Christ is in Xmas, it's just Greek abbreviations.

"So, what is your point?" you might ask. My point is that when I was a child in the 50's/60's, it was common teaching at my church that we celebrate Christ' birth everyday, not just on December 25. The fact that I celebrate Christmas more as a secular holiday rather than a religious holiday makes me no less a Christian. Nor does it mean that I am a gift monger, grabbing all the goodies I can get. The Christmas season can hold different meanings for individuals whether they be of a religious nature or not. There is nothing wrong with pretending Santa Claus leaves treats and gifts for good little boys and girls. Some kids need all the incentives they can be offered to behave. Although, I was never taught to believe in the mythical jolly old man, I don't assume to advise a parent to the contrary. Nor would I advise lying to children about the existence of Santa Claus, or Saint Nicholas. For truly there was a St. Nick, who was a third century bishop from Lycia.

As a result of my mother's teaching, that it was alright to pretend there was a Santa Claus, but not to believe in him, I didn't "believe" even as a young child. However, neither did I believe that Christmas was about Baby Jesus. So, for me Christmas was, for the most part, about having days off from school, parties, and parades with the red-suited man sporting a fake white beard while riding on a firetruck. More than that, though, it was about a time to be with my family, to submerge in all the noisy conversations, laughter and time spent making up for missing them during the previous months. Christmas for me has always been my favorite time of the year. Not for the commercial buying and giving frenzy, nor the Christian belief that it is Jesus' birth, but simply because it is a guaranteed time of enjoyment and happiness with family.

So, do I recognize Jesus birth at Christmas? Sure I do and on all the other 364 days of the year. As a Christian I praise God for the birth of Jesus because without it, he would never have died for my sins. He is my savior, and for that I am eternally grateful. Therefore, I do not write Xmas as an attempt to remove Christ from the holiday, but as the Greeks, to write of Christ's name in line with a festival. A time of celebration in which Christians in particular will join in the singing of carols and pageants during this winter season of joy. Even though I didn't grow up with the idea that Christmas is about Jesus' birth, I am trying to think more on Luke's account of the holy night than I normally would at any other time of year.

"I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:10-11.

Merry Xmas to you all,
ML

No comments:

Powered By Blogger