November 27, 2007

Christmas Is Coming!







Christmas is Coming!

By Mary Lou Martin
11/27/07

Christmas is coming and I’ve got to get ready.
The house is a wreck, but I’m not complaining.
The carpets are dirty, and stuff all around,
But surely I’ll clean up before family’s in town.

So, starting right now, this very minute,
I’ll vacuum the floors and dust off the spinet.
Next, I’ll dress up the house for the season,
Make candies and spirited punch within reason.

The thing is I’m sitting here on the couch.
Thinking of cleaning could make me a grouch.
But, it won’t get me down; I’ll get right to the task,
And eagerly clean, carols make the time pass.

All the cleaning and cooking won’t get done overnight.
I’ll pull down the ornaments and Christmas tree light.
It’s quite a big chore I don’t want to quit,
To have my house perfect is a dream I’ll admit.

So, here I go, the task now has started,
Wash all the linens and clean off the carpet.
Put up the tree and string it with pearls,
Hang homemade stockings for my boys and girls.

What a sweet blessing for family to come.
Everyone talks and grandchildren run.
We eat and we laugh, play games and sing songs.
For me it’s a joyous time and no wrongs.

This year I won’t reminisce with regret,
Or sigh because of what I don’t get.
My delight is in watching the smiles and the oh’s,
As my kids unwrap gifts with green and red bows.

Children will shout, I’ll delight in their glee.
I just wish my folks could share it with me.
But now I’ll get ready, I don’t want to be late.
I’ve cleaning to do and cookies to bake.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger