October 31, 2007

Autumn's Eve

Okay, I made up that title/holiday. It sounds better than Halloween. I will say that even though I don't like Halloween, I enjoy this short season and mild temperatures. It seems that we just barely start enjoying autumn leaves, baked pumpkin bread (I'll get around to the baking soon) and a little spiked apple cider, then we have to start on Christmas.

The earth tones of orange, brown, red and green are so pretty even here in East Texas. We may not have as much changing of the colors as the folks up north, but I do enjoy the crunch of brown leaves under my feet as I walk. The squirrels are gathering in families as they unearth their buried acorns. I've never seen so many squirrels in one place as we have in this yard. Of course, it helps that we have several oak trees for them to enjoy. The autumn picture the squirrels and leaves make is very pleasing.

I actually put out fall decorations in my house this year. I hung my "Happy Fall Ya'll" sign on the front door. I don't care that my sons have made fun of that before, I like it. My tables have fall-colored cloths on them adding to the seasonal look. There is a cute toothy terra cotta Jack O' Lantern named Punk, alongside some other pumpkin likenesses glowing on the hearth. The house feels all cozy and warm with the pumpkin candles lit in the evening.

Thanksgiving will be here before we know it and I'll be ready for it. The turkey and dressing, pumpkin bread (which will be baked by then) and all the other fine foods make for a family holiday that I really enjoy. Its a slow day and everyone seems to like sitting around while their food settles and watching football or perhaps getting up for a walk. In my husband's family, there is a traditional walk through the cemetery after Thanksgiving lunch. Sounds more of a Halloween tradition doesn't it? Oh well, its the togetherness that is important on that day, and not so much the traditions.

Today I baked sugar cookies in the shapes of pumpkins, ghosts and bats for my grandchildren. It may not be my favorite holiday, but going to their house this evening to see them dressed up in their Halloween costumes will be a treat for me. I also have a little holiday treat for each for them. I see stuff all the time to buy for my grandkids, but try not to indulge them too much. However, a treat on a special day from their Mama Lou can't be spoiling them. I say that it is better than a trick. At least this day is good for something and that is to see my Aidan and Regan. It's going to be fun, and I look forward to being with them this evening.

Whether you are treated or the one doing the treating, I hope you don't get tricked this Hallow's Eve...I mean...Autumn's Eve.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger