October 14, 2007

Closings and New Beginnings


The BLT-I (Baytown Little Theater the first) took a hit and sank last July, but the real heart of the theater, still beats strong through each person volunteering their time and talents to producing her plays. Our new space, the BLT-II, as it has been dubbed, will carry on the long tradition of dramatic theater in Baytown for as long as it is needed. The future is looking like a bright star for the Baytown Little Theater.

The Good Doctor closed to a receptive audience Saturday night. As our cast and crew were moving out, the church group meeting in that same space on Sunday mornings, was moving in. The 230 or so patrons that graced the sanctuary of the Presbyterian church building gave favorable critiques to the BLT production for which I assisted Kim's direction. In spite of all the hassles associated with sharing a facility, I really enjoyed the challenge of putting on the play. We had a great cast and crew to work with. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I’ll miss seeing them as much.

Today I’m left with costumes to dry clean then return to the University of Houston theater costume shop next week. There is also a small assortment of props to be returned to their rightful owners, not to mention some leftovers from the cast party on Friday night with which something must be done. The fact is, the play has ended and oddly enough, I’m ready for another one. Well, perhaps not right away, but definitely in the future.

Furthermore, the future of the Baytown Little Theater is definitely all the buzz right now. Excitement is building along with the theater's new digs in the middle of Baytown. Many of us working the late night set strike of The Good Doctor were locking up some of BLT’s properties in our new permanent/temporary theater, presently undergoing renovations. I have made several quick visits to the space over the past month to follow the progress of transforming 5000 square feet of space from a physical therapy clinic into a playhouse of theatrical renderings. Walls have been knocked out, risers constructed for seats and theatrical lighting of all kinds are being installed to illuminate the acting space. Yes, it is very exciting times for the Little Theater.

It is my perception that many of my thespian friends are getting as itchy as I am to start producing plays in our renovated space. The upcoming much anticipated move of costumes, properties, sets, tickets, make up and mirrors to Hugh Echols Drive, will truly be an opening we won’t want to miss. Though it's location has changed, the BLT will continue to bring award-winning theater to our community.

1 comment:

Terry Rush said...

Mary Lou,

I noted your comment on my blog and I thank you!

Have a great day!
Terry

Powered By Blogger