January 1, 2007

Resolutions, 2007

Ha! I'd love to see the number of blog posts with that same title today. I'd bet there are a million.

Resolutions: "A firm decision to do, or not to do something." (source: My computer dashboard dictionary widget.)

A firm decision, heartfelt, or said, written, proclaimed even typed with profound conviction on January 1st. Some will follow through for the entire 365 days making their resolution a solid habit. I say, "Good for you. Way to go! That is quite an accomplishment." Then, there are the rest of us well-meaning, firm decision making NORMAL people that go about our everyday activities forgetting about resolutions.

When I'm in a hurry to complete a project, focused on a job, or just trying to make it through the day, I forget things.
- I forget about the decision I so firmly made to quit drinking caffeinated coffee and switch to decaf, when I still can't wake up at 10:00 in the morning and my principal just changed me from departmentalized to self contained.
-I forget about cutting back on sweets when there is a loving box of fresh doughnuts waiting, for free, next to that coffee in the teacher's lounge.

Habits are hard for a weak person to form and bad habits are hard to break. Just deciding firmly to quit whatever, doesn't make it happen. I'm not sure where I'm going with this blog, but I know that resolutions are meant to be broken because we are flawed human beings. We forget. We slip. We fall. Aren't we glad that God isn't that way?
" You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised." Hebrews 10:36

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I think that resolutions may work with some people but for the rest of us each day simply has to be a decision to do something that is reinforced by peers and acountability. I truly believe that resolutions are meaningless without the people to see you through them. I also think that if you are going choose to "just stop" or "just start" something it shouldn't just be a haphazard resolve, but something truly meaningful. And then, sometimes, you just aren't ready until you're ready.

Mary Lou said...

Thank you for your comment, Kyle. I suspect that the idealistic, self assured and absolutely driven people in our world can accomplish one or two of their resolutions. To be a better person is, like you said, a daily thing. I have made resolutions in the past and for many years the same one. It only serves to make me feel bad about myself. You hit the nail on the head though with the fact that “...sometimes, you just aren’t ready until you’re ready.” Truer words have never been spoken.

Powered By Blogger