December 31, 2006

Happy New Year, 2007!

This has been a different New Year's Eve for us. We stayed home while our grown children and their wives went to a party. Now the grandparents, we stayed with the grandkids. After all, we had parents to do that for us on many NYE and now its our turn. We played with playdough, arranged a big wooden puzzle of the United States, watched "Shrek", read the Mother Goose Nursery Rhyme boardbook for the umpteenth time, bathed little bodies, served up milk and then put them to bed. Ahh! What a nice feeling of accomplishment.

After the children were alseep all snug in their beds, I thought that Kim and I would at least stay up to watch "the ball" drop on TV and sip a little champagne at the stroke of midnight. I thought we'd give each other a big kiss, toast in the New Year and wish each other health, happiness and prosperity. Well, what actually happened was Kim gave it up at 11:20. I watched Garrison Keillor with the Prairie Home Companion show on channel 8 while the chilled champagne remained corked in the refridgerator. When Garrison began to sing "Auld Lang Syne" at the stroke of midnight, I sipped a room temperature Merlot alone. I decided that I'd at least get my kiss and slipped into the bedroom to find Kim asleep, plugged into his iPod. So, I tiptoed to his side, leaned down, and gave him a little peck on his check. He wriggled his nose and turned over. "Happy New Year!" I whispered.

I'm not complaining because I got to babysit with my two precious grandchildren on NYE, 2007.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger