December 17, 2006

Getting in the Christmas Spirit



Everywhere you look, you see Christmas. The store clerks have been bustling around for months making preparations for this season of gifting. All the holiday decorations and wrappings seem to be strewn everywhere except here at my house. Well, that's not totally true, I do have my wooden snowmen standing guard on the hearth. Odd place for snowmen now that I think about it. I also have some "dancing trees" on my laptop screen and there's the elf on this page. I've listened to some holiday tunes and put up decorations around my classroom at school. However, here at my house, our Christmas tree, the ornaments, lights and lawn reindeer are still in the attic.

I'm fighting the urge to just let Christmas evolve around me without my participation this year. Then, the other day my little grandson told me I needed to go to the tree farm and get a Christmas tree, then put ornaments on it. I took that as a hint that I was behind on my Christmas spirit.

Is it my age or what? I seem to have the Christmas blahs. I'm very content to let the world celebrate the holiday. I will just be happy for them and watch the Hallmark Christmas specials on TV. Christmas used to be a lot of busy-ness and hurrying to buy lots of presents. I really did enjoy wrapping secret treasures for everyone and putting them under my tree. It was like a game to find just the right gifts for everyone. Then, I'd watch while my family routinely inspected new packages to see who it belonged to. However, now my sons, daughters in law, my husband and I just draw names. Not as many gifts to buy, but its something. Of course, we will all shop for my grandchildren. In fact, just the other night, I was in Toys R Us to cruise the aisles for gift ideas. There are so many toys to choose from, but I enjoy the hunt. I know that they'll get a lot of presents from all the family members and it will be fun to see the excitement on their faces as they unwrap their presents. I wish I could see them on Christmas morning when they awaken to the prizes Santa Claus left for them.

Come to think of it, Christmas really is about children. After all, wasn't it because of a Child that Christmas began those thousands of years ago? Perhaps it is with the spirit of that first Christmas that I should approach this season. My whole attitude could change, if I keep an image of the Christ child lying in a manger in my mind. I'm going to give that a try.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger