November 11, 2006

Be Kind To Each Other

I have always been a person with sensitive feelings. As I have aged, I have acquired skills to hide those hurt feelings most of the time and that’s neither good nor bad. However, several times in just the past 3 or 4 months, when my feelings were hurt so badly that I just couldn't contain them, I cried and would say things that I shouldn’t have.

If you have paid attention, you might have noticed that everyone is a critic. Also, they are quick to let you or someone else know that an action or something said was (in their opinion) "not right". Some people just seem to think that it is their job to let us “less intelligent” ones know when we have screwed up. I am getting pretty weary of those sorts of people.

It isn't easy to do as Jesus said and "turn the other cheek" when a particular person treats us like we don't have any sense. I work in an elementary school where it seems there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. (My apologies to our Native American friends. I don't want someone to point out my pc mistake.) However, there seems to be a lot of people acting like they are in charge of telling others how they should or should not do something. They go as far as telling them how to do their job when, in the teaching field, there are many, many ways to teach concepts and skills.

I have noticed that “I-know-better-than-you” mentality in all walks of our day-to-day lives. People thinking that their way of behaving, working and expressing an opinion is so much better than anyone else’s, has gotten out of hand. I am not the most politically minded person. In fact, I would more than likely fail a test given to me on American politics. I suppose that politics do not appeal to me because the candidates express themselves in such boastful ways. They put the other candidates down and cause slander to their reputation whenever possible. What is particularly disturbing to me about that is how people I know will jump on that slander bandwagon if it is an opponent of the favored candidate.

When Americans see that type of behavior from political figures, bosses, older adults and even Christians, they either get on their opinionated side or they fight back. Talk about Politically Incorrect! Since when has it been accepted to make others feel inferior? Since when do we have to take derogatory comments from coworkers, bosses or the extrovert that doesn't mind spouting off?

Let us be Christian and show others their value. Listen to people and what they have to say. Acknowledge you might be wrong or that there is another way of doing something. Be kind to everyone and not just our close friends that believe the way we do. I have been on the receiving end of unkind comments and they are very hurtful.

Because I know that my friends read this blog and may be thinking, “I’ve heard ML say some unkind things too”. I realize I’ve made that mistake. When we realize our words or actions were hurtful we should apologize to that person. I can hardly live with myself knowing I have hurt someone, even if that person has been hurtful to me. I am here to tell you apology isn’t easy. However, in the end, I am always glad I can say those two kinder words, “I’m sorry.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary Lou,

I like your new photo.

Your blog reminds me of what Paul wrote in Col. 4:6 "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

I am very grateful for friends who forgive me when I ask because I have opened my big mouth without considering how what I say, and how I say it may impact others.

Powered By Blogger