November 21, 2006

Jesus Loves the Little Children



Back in the saddle again...sort of. Kim and I, along with one other adult, took a small group of teens on a church retreat. It was only over night, but brought back a lot of memories. Back when our own children were in the church youth group, we often chaperoned various camp events. One of the last retreats Kim and I helped chaperone was to Garner State Park in December. Very cold with a lot of sipping hot chocolate and roasting marshmellows for smores. This more recent trip was also cold and I was happy to find out that smores are still a hit around a campfire. As always there are a few kids that didn't make curfew and walks around the camp after hours looking for them, brought back memories too. Muddy shoes, dirty showers, squeals of delight in the dark, ball games of all types, youth group games, junior high kids bugging the older kids hasn't changed during our "off" years. Something else that hasn't changed are sweet young voices singing praises to God and kids worshiping our Lord. Innocence, questions, some apathy, some drama, always an adventure when it comes to teenagers.

After all of my initial complaining about going, I'm so glad we went. To be with Jesus' children, these teenagers, once again was edifying to my soul. God works on our hearts and brings us back to Him whenever we drift. It is reassuring that God still wants me for his service. I pray that God will continue to put people in my life who present these opportunities of service. Thanks Bill.

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Are you back in LR? We miss you all too. We really did have a good time on the retreat. Maybe we can help out more during this transition.

Kyle said...

Wow. I miss camp. I miss it a lot. I'm glad you had fun.

Powered By Blogger