November 24, 2006

Let Us Give Thanks


Thanksgiving Day has come and gone once again. It doesn't really feel like Thanksgiving even though it definitely feels like days off from work. Over the years, our holiday tradition has moved from traveling east down I-10 to my parent's house for a huge feast with relatives, to across the bayou to Kim's parent's house with his family and now driving back west on I-10 to his sister's house in Houston for a gathering of blended families and friends. Last year Kim and I even ventured up north to snow in Michigan and Thanksgiving with Jason, Kari and kids. That was probably the only white Thanksgiving we'll ever have. Conversations have ranged from talks about sewing clothes, cooking, fishing, and football with my family, to discussions of politics, books, movies, religion and football with Kim's family. The traditions of playing horseshoes, "42", exchanging recipies or just sitting in the backyard talking, has given way to walks to cemeteries, watching the kids play video games and sitting around a fire on the patio to share the current issues of the day.

A lot has changed for me over the past 14 years of Thanksgivings, but one thing has been the same each and every year. Turkey and dressing. Although, a "Yankee" brother in law introduced bread stuffing to the family, cornbread dressing remains the favorite with turkey, baked sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce on the side. When I bite into the foodfaire of The Day, for a short time, it still feels like Thanksgiving. Our three boys are all grown up now and the Thanksgiving traditions continue to change. However, I am satisfied to be making new memories. We took some pictures, saw an interesting stone carving of "Jesus", enjoyed each other's company and ate so much food we were stuffed. One of these days I hope to bake some pies using my mom's recipes, learn to make cornbread dressing, have the crowd over to my house and shift the Thanksgiving paradigm once again. Until then, we will take long walks to cemeteries, laugh at the cute things the kids do, talk about the current issues and as always, eat turkey and dressing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I like the cemetary walks if for no other reason than NO ONE else does this. I'm glad our family is wierd.

I love the new look.

Powered By Blogger