February 12, 2006

Names in the Newspaper

Okay, today will be short because the last two entries were huge megabytes of verbage...or garbage, take your pick.

Last week I was reading our local newspaper, The Baytown Sun, in the Travis Elementary teacher’s lounge while eating lunch. Yeah, we are a pretty boring bunch of teachers. Anyway, I picked my friend, Deanna Nall's column to read. I really like to read her stuff, she is so funny, with pretty much tongue in cheek humor. She is crazy about Target. When I shop at Target it is usually for someone else. Wedding gifts, baby shower gifts, my grandkids or maybe something for our house. If I ever find anything in the clothes department that fits a 50+ year old, short, slightly plump woman, its usually sweats or socks.

But I digress...back to my original story...I was reading Deanna's article when there in black and white 10-point font was my son's name, Kyle Martin. "Hey!" I said to those within earshot, "...there's my son, Kyle's, name is in this article!" The other teachers weren't as excited as I was. They smiled and gave me a nice nod. Even though I've read his name in print many times, I never get bored with seeing it. I was genuinely surprised and smiled as it made my day a little brighter.

Thanks Deanna for that little mention and the brief chance to think about my son during my boring lunch break.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Yeah, I had a student tell me about it before I actually saw it on her blog. I was touched.

Deana Nall said...

Hey, I still get excited about seeing my own name in ink and I've been getting published for 16 years now! Glad I could perk up your lunch break. :)

Powered By Blogger