October 17, 2005

Living With Astro Fans

I'm standing in the living room minding my own business when all of a sudden my husband begins to jump up and down yelling. I wasn't expecting the sudden outburst and nearly jumped out of my skin. Then I realize the Astros, who my husband is watching on TV, have scored a run and they are just a little closer to winning the championship.

I should be accustomed to such outburst, but I'm not. It just seems so out of character for my usually quiet husband to all of a sudden be jumping up and down, cheering at the television in the middle of the living room floor at full voice. I got to admit though its sort of funny to watch and I do get a kick out of seeing him so jubilant.

Like I said, I should be used to all of that yelling at the players on the screen. Its not like I was raised without being exposed to baseball. On the contrary, as a little girl I remember my family watching baseball games every Sunday afternoon after the noon meal. The TV was tuned into Dizzy Dean calling the afternoon game. My mom would talk about "Dizzy" as if he was some long lost relative. Their sponsor was Falstaff beer. I don't even think they make that beer anymore. But that has nothing to do with this post...I was just saying. My brother, my dad and even my mom would all yell, clap and cheer at the baseball game on the tube when their team was winning. My brother could give you just about any stat on a National League player you'd want to hear. He probably had the baseball card to prove it too.

I could never quite get excited by the whole ballgame thing though. I went to my brother's baseball games as a kid. He was a catcher and one really exciting game he got hit in the stomach by a ball and passed out. He worked hard trying to make me a decent baseball player. Batting was hard and my catching was even worse. When I was tired of playing, it was all over. All I had to do to end a game of backyard baseball with my brother was to strike out. That used to make him so mad for me to "throw the game."

Then as a mom, I sat through all of my sons' baseball games and I thoroughly enjoyed watching my guys play. My husband even played some ball either with a church league or a seniors' league and I really liked watching him play too.

Don't get me wrong I think baseball is as good a sport to watch as any other. I even pretty much understand the game. I've had a great time at many Astro's baseball games whether it was in "The Dome", the blacklisted Enron Field or our current Minute Maid Park. However I'm sorry to say that all the hype of the game is lost on me because I just don't get too worked up about it. It's just a game to me. Although the night that Bagwell got to pinch hit after recovering from his shoulder surgery, and everyone stood and cheered, even me...well that sort of choked me up. So I suppose on some level I do get worked up...just a little.

The Astros didn't win tonight, but we really thought they would. I told my men watching the game not to get too discouraged, the Astros will get to try again. They have what it takes. I know they can do it. I just hope when they do, I'll be ready for the outburst of joy that will follow. For surely every Astros' baseball fan will be cheering very loudly at the top of their lungs...and some just might be in my own living room.

GO ASTROS!!

1 comment:

Kyle said...

You bet your sweet bippy we will! That loss was hard, but I'm over it. Go 'Stros!

Powered By Blogger