October 22, 2005

The Animals We Are

During a Science Review the word "animal" was used in reference to humans. My third graders were insulted to be called animals. I assured them it was true that all creatures, even human mammals, were considered animals. They still took offense and could not accept that they were indeed "animals".

However, as I stop and picture human beings scurry around each day trying to earn a living, gather food, and race through this maze of daily happenings...we truly are of the animal kingdom. For sure, we are the more influencial, high-order thinker of the species, but "animals" none the less.

We are always on the move like an army of ants. "Done in the ground, to get out of the rain..." says the preschool song. Human animals rise up each day to new expectations. Oh, of course, there are some of us that are not going to a paying job. Theirs is to sit somewhere, to observe life passing, to listen to other people talk or watch them walk past in a hurry to their next event. Or theirs may be to volunteer their time, service and devotion to other human animals. But somewhere in there all humans eat, think, and sleep just like any other animal. It is the thinking that makes human beings superior though. However, I do believe I observe our cats thinking as they peer around the corner of the door poised to leap out at the other passing cat or person that walks by them. They use their minds to think as they pace around my feet and meow their requests for food or affection. Cats, dogs, even pigs can think, but humans have the complex ability to think, contemplate,reason and feel emotion about their daily decisions.

Pondering the thought that we are humans on this round planet, it seems that we are no different than any other animal living here. The earth spins from day to night and day again. We wake, eat, work, live and do it all over again every 24 hours. Have we been programed by a "superhuman"? Are we going anywhere in this world? The difference between human animals and any other creature on earth is that we can pursue a purpose in life. We can seek and act on a reason to exist. What is that purpose? If my answer to that question is simply to survive my time in this physical life on earth, I should quit my job, stop worrying about my health and let happen what will. No, I have to say that my purpose here is to be a learner. I am learning something new everyday. I'm not a terribly intelligent person, but surrounded by both simple and complex people, the minute-to-minute situations I encounter teach me so much about purpose in life. God placed me on this planet to learn His lessons about the life I will live after I have graduated from this world.

We are the ultimate animal and our degree will be Life with God in Heaven.

1 comment:

Kyle said...

I didn't know 3rd graders could be so uppity.

Powered By Blogger