December 9, 2008

Today Is December 9


My attempts to post a blog entry lately came up with shallow content. I wrote and deleted; posted and deleted. Nothing seemed to convey where my thoughts have been.

Then, a while ago I noticed the date. Grading student assignments and posting dates for tomorrow, I'd not paid attention to the date. So when my eyes fell on today's date at the top of a friend's blog, all I saw was December 9, 2008 and it hit me. Today is my daddy's birthday. He would have been 90 years old today. It's hard for my mind to wrap around that Daddy could have been that old. He's still 77 to me. Right where he was when he left us.

(The photo above shows the six Ritchey siblings. My daddy is sitting in the chair on the left.)
Born Elton Lavarne or Lavorne (Mama Ritchey wasn't even for sure which spelling was correct) Ritchey, nicknamed "Jiggs" was born December 9, 1918 in Oklahoma. He was the fourth of six siblings born to John Renrick. and Beulah James Ritchey.

Remembering where he was and how he looked the last time I saw him alive, I recall that physical person I saw wasn't actually my daddy anymore. Alzheimer's disease took my daddy's mind away and when it did, he was gone too.




Adjectives that described my daddy would be kindhearted, loving, Christian, firm, soft-hearted, loyal husband, wise, intelligent, self-motivated, lifelong learner, carpenter, handyman, gardener, country music fan, guitar player, singer, comedian and grandfather. I could probably go on and on.

Daddy once started out to drive back to his parent's house in Ryan, OK from Port Neches, TX. He was going to visit my grandparents and help his dad do some home repairs. My brothers and I were in school and so we stayed back with Mom. Daddy was an hour away when Mom answered a phone call from him saying that he just couldn't make the trip without us. Daddy rarely ever went somewhere overnight without us. Even when he worked for some people on their beachhouses in Galveston, we got to join him for the weekend. Daddy was always working a second job of some kind to help the family income.











It is such a shame that my grandchildren never knew my daddy. He would have loved them so much and they would have thought he was just great.







Like I do.

4 comments:

LT said...

Beautiful, touching tribute!! It's obvious how much you miss his presence in your life.

Nellie said...

What wonderful memories of your daddy. I know just how you feel. Love you!

Mary Lou said...

A little girl's favorite/first boy friend is their daddy. We never outgrow our daddy.

Jason said...

I haven't missed Papa more than I do now. I know it's because of how well he and the kids would get along and genuinely enjoy each other. Aidan would love Papa's little garden, and he would love building little wooden things with him. Regan would love his humor, duck voice, and his love of music. Ah well. Such is life. Love you mom.

Powered By Blogger