December 18, 2008

Christmas Is Coming, the Goose is Getting Stewed!

Do you people realize how close it is to Christmas Day? I barely remember Halloween or Thanksgiving! The pictures of Regan and Aidan dressed up like Red-Riding Hood and The Mummy are still stuck on my fridge door. I still have marinated green bean salad leftovers from Thanksgiving inside of my fridge for crying out loud. Where have the days gone?

I got an email from one of the Zchicks (some ladies I lived with in Zellner dorm at ACU in the '70's) who lives up north. She always decorates, puts up a Christmas tree or two and does a lot of gift shopping. She commented in her email that all that was done, she was ready for Christmas and that Christmas Eve was a week from tonight [Wednesday]. What? You say, "A week away?" Is that all, just 7 days? I was shocked! Was I to believe that this holiday so many people anxiously await to arrive is a mere 168 hours away? I have done nothing to get ready. No decorations, no Christmas Tree not even a chestnut roasting on an open fire.

While I feel the need to do something about my current unpreparedness, I am not so much as a bit compelled to begin on what is surely to be a very tiring task. Although, I should want to get into the Christmas spirit and decorate, buy Christmas presents, and in general be jolly; I can't seem to muster the enthusiasm to move from my chair to the attic where my tree is still stored in its box. (That pic is from last year. Too bad I didn't just leave it up.)

The thought of circling Wal Mart in search of a decent parking place is eclipsed only by the image of sardine-like shoppers, displaced articles off the shelves, crying children wanting nothing more than their homes, and in general the chaos that will besiege if I dare to stop. Why would I want any of that? Sort of makes me want to slap that smile off the Smiley Face.

Five days ago the play that Kim and I directed at the theater closed. Yesterday I washed shirts and towels used during the show. There is still a big box of props in the corner of our breakfast room. Today I need to take a few costumes to the cleaners. The musical scores, however, were counted and it was discovered we are short by two scores. But I digress.

All of that said about the play was to point out that in addition to our paying jobs, we were very busy otherwise and have just let Christmas happen all around us without getting involved. In spite of hearing Christmas music on the radio, observing and being trapped in the lines of cars on Garth Road, noticing the occasional Blue Spruce tied to the top of a Suburban, or the car with antlers and a big red ball on the front grill, we just didn't notice it was time for Christmas. Though I would like to join all the bustle, I can't for some reason gather the wherewithal to get into Santa's big scene. What is wrong with me? Have I been Scrooged?

Here's the plan: I'll get out of this chair, out of my pajamas, into the shower and into some real clothes. That's a good start don't you think? Then, perhaps I should put on some Christmas music. Although I've been listening to holiday music for days and days. I'll give it a try anyway. Maybe a new mindset will make the difference. Next, I will put the Christmas wreath on the front door. All that requires is fixing the hanger on the door and putting the wreath on it. The box of wreathes is already out of the attic because we needed one of them as a prop in the play. After that, I will see what I can haul down of the other Christmas decorations including the artificial blue spruce. If I'm not flat on my back in the floor asleep, I'll eat lunch, vacuum the floors and maybe get out and try to shop. Although, I could make my own Christmas presents this year and avoid all that craziness in the stores. Of course, that does require effort on my part.

With a plan in writing, I can do this. Right now, it looks as if I'll have to skip down the list to lunch since its noon. Hmmm, do you think that means it'll be time for a nap soon? I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Deana Nall said...

I love the retro Fritos bag in the picture.

I think my cousin was at ACU around the same time you were and I know she lived in Zellner. Her name is Karen King.

Mary Lou said...

Well I didn't know that was a "retro" Fritos bag. Has the bag changed since then?

Yes, I think I recall that name. I will have to look her up in my annual.

Powered By Blogger