August 30, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

Another school year has begun and Kim is in yet another classroom. This time he is with the Deer Park High School, North Campus as the new theater arts teacher. He is working hard to help the new ninth grade students get to know each other.

Weeks before school resumed, Kim got busy planning a Theater Fish Camp to welcome the new ninth grade students to the theater program. He was pleased to learn that the upper class theater club officers were willing and eager to assist in the camp. So, on the last Saturday of their summer vacation, about 30 kids met with Kim at the school for a day of games, fun and getting to know each other. The picture here was taken that day as he observed students playing a theater game.

Kim is to be commended for his tenacity. Teaching theater in public school has not been as easy as directing plays with a community theater where the actors chose to be there. I realize I am slightly bias, but he is a talented actor, director and teacher. I know how hard it is to juggle lesson plans, district policies, student discipline and what is often much more than an 8 hour day. I am very proud of my husband for what he does with young teens and for his ability to hang in there when the going was tough.

Kim, as well as all the other teachers working in our public schools, need our prayers as they head into a new school year. Many, like Kim, are facing new students, new principals, new colleagues and a whole new teaching environment. If you ever thought that being the new kid at school was hard, try being the new teacher. There are many similarities.

Lord God, please be with those individuals that give hours of every day to helping young minds grow and learn. Take care of the teachers and administrators as they enter schools each day in places near and far to create a safe place for learning.
Through Jesus Christ, your Son. Amen.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Theatre fish camp! What a great idea. Not only does it help everyone get to know each other, but it gets them excited and invested in the year's activities. I'm looking forward to hearing about what dad does with his new position. I hope the opportunities for creativity of activities and growth of the department are better than they have been the last couple of years. Break a leg.

Kyle said...

Theatre fish camp sounds great. I think I may try that, next year. I need more stuff to make my job busier, right? I hope dad's enjoying his new place. From what he's told me, he seems happier.

Powered By Blogger