September 2, 2006

Sunny Saturday Sanity

Around the beginning of each school year, it takes the Labor Day Holiday to bring some sanity to a teacher's nerve-racking, fast-paced, quick start. School is in session and summer has not ended. It was not suppose to end so abruptly at the beginning of August. The days have still been very hot and the grass is growing at neck-break speed.

Today is Saturday and I am once again in my usual summer morning fashion, sitting at my computer in my houserobe at 10:30 in the morning. That is something I've come to enjoy very much about summers without children at home. The opportunity to do nothing if I choose. Some younger parents might say, "I wish I could sit around on a Saturday morning." Well, I say to them, "You will in about 25 years." Hey, I feel no guilt. I paid my time to do this sitting around.

However, this school start has been busier than most because we have another family in our house temporally. My son's family has recently moved from Michigan to start a job in Houston. While they were looking for a house, they and their 2 children have lived with us. It has been nice to be able to see our grandchildren each day. They are so cute and smart. But even though I want to be with them, I have schoolwork to complete most evenings. Instead of working at my school the week before we had to return, I worked at home to prepare a suitable place for our company. I was happy to do that. I was in no hurry to get back to school. But I lost that week and it put me behind.

I wish I had the time during the day to be working around the house in preparation for everyone's return in the evening. I'm not very good at the whole planning meals for a week thing anymore. I am out of that habit and besides, after standing on my feet all day at school, I just want to sit down. So, our daughter in law, who is very good at planning and cooking, prepares her family's meals. We pretty much just take care of ourselves around here in the evenings. It seems to work, but I feel guilty not doing more for them.

This is our Labor Day Holiday and we will be off from work on Monday. An extra day to catch up on work around the house and also the work we brought home in our bookbags. Labor day is supposed to be a holiday from work. It is in reality a holiday for me to catch up on work. I like having this time to work alone and plan the next 3 weeks for my classes. I needed this break in our hectic beginning.

It is my understanding that next year our school district won't begin as early in August. I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime, I have to clean house, wash clothes, plan lessons and grade papers. Labor Day, 2006...a sunny Saturday for my sanity.

2 comments:

wildlawman said...

Hey ML! Long time, no see! Sounds like things down there are about as busy as they are up here. With the fiancee in medical school and my law school career starting up, we're lucky to see each other every day! Anyway, hope things are going well for you guys! Say hello to everyone for me. Blessings!

Trevor

Nellie said...

Here's an exciting thought for you: When you retire, it is almost like summer all the time! Note that I said ALMOST. You would get tired of it all the time. Hope you guys have had a somewhat relaxing weekend. We have enjoyed being with our 3 grandbabies for the last few days. They are so cute and so BUSY. Looking forward to rest time when I get home.

Powered By Blogger