December 11, 2010

Christmas Blessings


This Christmas I have felt a happiness that had left me for many years during this season of joy. Maybe it is because we have 3 wonderful grandchildren who will be coming to our house this year along with our 3 sons and their wives. The house is decorated with Christmas stockings, Santas, snowmen and two Christmas trees. Christmas shopping is done and the gifts are almost wrapped to put under our Christmas tree. I even purchased a Fisher Price Nativity action toy for the kids to play with and a storybook with its beautiful illustrations entitled, “The Christmas Baby”.


Christmas music has been playing since December 1st. I've added to my library of holiday music with purchases of one new album (Straight No Chaser is fantastic!) and some singles from iTunes all under the genre of Christmas. I love Christmas music; it is so happy and cheerful. How can anyone be blue when listening to the Muppets sing “Little Saint Nick”?


This year’s Christmas picture card are four snapshots of us two, the 3 boys, wives, and grandkids. Not a group photograph, but separate pictures of the 11 of us. Our family has grown into a fun group of people whom I love very much. I'm very excited about spending some quality time with all of them this holiday.


Already this season Kim and I have been to a nice festive Christmas parade, church services, concerts, and the play A Christmas Carol at the Alley theater; we even got to see our grandson in his Christmas program at school. I have also read some about Advent and the anticipation of Christ’s birth this year. The church I grew up in did not join most of the world in the belief that Christmas is a time to celebrate Christ’s birth. There were normally no poinsettias decorating the front of the auditorium. Although there was the year Kim and I were married on Dec. 21, a Saturday night, in my church building, and I'm sure the flowers were still there the next morning for Sunday services. Even though, I didn’t grow up with Advent as a religious observance, it has been a satisfying education to read about the practice of Advent. It is something I hope to observe more in future Christmas seasons.


Early next week I have the opportunity to help in the distribution of food to those families finding themselves in the position of needing assistance from the church and community. As I put food into grocery bags and give it to those families, I will thank God for all He has provided to my family and me. “There, but for the grace of God go I”.


May this holiday season find you in good health and with people you love.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger