July 11, 2009

Lead Us Not Into Temptation


It is superficial and should not make a difference, but somehow it does. The fact that Dian Keaton looks amazing at 63 years old is only part of my reality check for the day. Yesterday I watched a movie starring Ryan Reynolds, a baby-faced young actor a mere 33 years of age; acting opposite a beautiful, slender Sandra Bullock an actress 12 years her leading man’s senior. As I watched her looking 33 years old at 45, I was struck with my age, my weight, my aching muscles, joints and the impulse to rush to the hairstylist.

L’ Oreal Paris Re-cushioning (What kind of term is that?) Serum claims to be specially designed to reduce the signs of aging in menopausal and postmenopausal skin. While skin with more cushion strikes me as desirable, I know such claims come with a price tag much like most other “fountain of youth” formula creams, lotions and pills. Pretty 40-something models, like Sarah Jessica Parker, advertising such products do not convince me the product works; they only produce a yearning in me to be their age again.

Carb cravings, sweets and calorie-laden beverages seem to have my name written on their containers. Old ankles struggling to support my overweight frame moan under the strain of their task. By ignoring good health and exercise my energy level depletes with the slightest exertion of outdoor activity. It can be very depressing.

Improved physical health has been linked to improved mental health in both young people and adults. The article linked here indicates that physical activity can help combat those depressed feelings in many of us. We all have triggers for sad feelings and according to experts those can be fought off by exercise. Too bad depression can’t be fought off by a Red Velvet cupcake with vanilla frosting. Take my word for it, as comforting as it may sound, the sweet does not rid one of depression.

Head knowledge is one thing and putting it into action is clearly another. Humans can be self-destructive even when we know what is best for us. Personally, smoking cigarettes has never been a temptation for me. Every pack of cigarettes is clearly labeled with the surgeon general’s warning that tobacco can cause cancer, yet I see people young and old continuing to smoke. So as not to appear too judgmental of some of my best friends who are smokers, my vice is alcohol. Wines and cocktails cool and satisfy, but when not in moderation can/will/do cause havoc on my body and mind. As I said, we humans are self-destructive.

Combating our temptations with knowledge should be an easy fix for these problems. While smoking, drinking, and other outward abuses continue to exist, there are still others not so visible. Does this mean we are all addicted to our temptations? Does it mean we are weak individuals with no spine to correct our lives? Jesus loves me, this I know, and maybe it is the Holy Spirit within urging me to change my way of living. Temptations can become a whisper in the wind and avoidance is possible if we will listen, act and get control. I Co. 10:13

Mercy triumphs over judgement!
James 2:13

No comments:

Powered By Blogger