February 23, 2009

Are You Anxious?

Php. 4:6, Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I can be so anxious about such trivial things. I get so anxious about not so trivial things. What can I say? I am an anxious person. However, I have in the midst of extreme worry and anxiousness, prayed fervently to God to take away my worry. And you know what? He did just that. Once when my younger two sons were in high school band together, they flew to Hawaii for a spring break trip. My oldest son and girlfriend were with my husband and I on a ski trip in Colorado. Knowing we'd be separated by thousands of miles, knowing my youngest son was not flying out on the same airplane with his older brother, imagining all sorts of accidents could occur between all of us on this trip, made me anxious to put it mildly. The morning the band was to fly out, one son left earlier than the other one. My husband drove each of them to the high school to meet the bus taking them to the airport. I just couldn't take going to see them off. I stayed in my bed, not sleeping, praying for their safety.

I don't know about how other people experience worry or anxiousness, but it is both physically and emotionally that I take on this burden. My body will tremble, my stomach becomes knotted and I want to just lie down and cry. It is a terrible, debilitating wave of helplessness that washes over me and I want nothing more than to remove the burr stabbing my heart. So that morning, lying in my bed in the darkness and silence of my home, I prayed to God . "God keep my boys safe from harm. Take care that the airplane lands safely in Hawaii. Help my sons to watch out for each other and come back to me safely. And, Lord, take away this worry I am feeling. Amen". As I prayed my Amen, I closed me eyes, breathed a sigh and slept. When I woke up, I knew that God was in control and had taken away my worry enough for me to sleep. Furthermore, if He had taken my anxious feelings away, He must have seen the boys safely to Hawaii. What a giant of a God!

Do I still get anxious? Oh yes! and do I still remember to pray to God about my worries? Most of the time. And when my worries just won't quit, that is when I try to remember who is in charge. There is no need to worry about a thing when our God is in control. He will take care of everything and nothing is too big for Him.

Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith?" Lk. 12:27-28

I couldn't have said it better myself, for I am the one of little faith.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger