January 4, 2009

Resolutions '09 or The Person I Want to Be

This picture doesn't look like it fits with an article about New Year's Resolutions, does it? Although, it reminds me of when I was a little girl with long braids and she looks thoughtful. That is what I will be doing here...just thinking about the person I want to be.

Making New Year's Resolutions for me is like throwing a basketball at a goal. I see the goal, I know what it will look like when the ball drops through the net, I even know the proper way to execute a lay up, but I stink at it. Such it is with resolutions. I can write them down to read. I know what it will take to carry through and succeed at the goals I've set up for myself. I even know what it will be like when I achieve the goal, but like shooting baskets, I stink at it.

Therefore, instead of making a frustrating list of resolutions I'll break before I go to sleep again tomorrow, I would like to contemplate the person I want to be. That way, I'm not just taking free throws, missing and giving up after the first failure. It isn't going to be a one-shot, miss and I'm out. I'm setting out on a journey. As with any traveling, some days are easy and we make a lot of mileage. Smooth sailing, not a bump in the road. In contrast other days are going to be slow as we plod along pulling ourselves out of pitfalls that were in plain sight. I'm thinking that each day is new every morning and God gives me another chance to try it again. After all this is going to be a journey and my expected arrival is open ended. God with me on this trip and he wants me to succeed.

I'll be setting out on my journey tomorrow. By the end of 2009 I hope the view from behind shows a lot of mileage has been covered and I'm closer to being the person I want to be. So who do I want to be in 2009? Glad you asked.

ML wants to be:
  1. A better Christian example to others.
  2. A better reader of the scriptures.
  3. A more fit person. (translation: Curves)
  4. A healthier person. ( less sugar, more protein and vegetables)
  5. A happier person. (I believe the Bible says something about being content.)
  6. A person who will trust God more than herself.
  7. A person who helps others.
  8. A person who smiles. (see #5.)
  9. A creative person. (I want to put my ideas in action.)
  10. A person who treats other people the way she wants to be treated. (Love my neighbor as myself.)
I will not be keeping records of all the times I mess up along my journey. Instead, I'll remember to give thanks to God for helping me accomplish any small victory I have throughout my day. (see #6.)

I'll take one day at a time, one step in front of the next. Its all about being a better person and feeling better about myself. The person I want to be is the same person that God wants me to be. Now that I think about it, that would be a tall order if it weren't for God's help.

Mark 10:27

27Jesus looked at them and said, With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God.

I'd say I have a very good traveling partner in 2009.



5 comments:

Nellie said...

I bet you don't mess up too often. I really like all of your aspirations and plan to adopt some of them myself. Love you!

Nellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve’s Writing said...

WOW! What a list! For me, such a list would be a multi-year journey for sure. If it helps at all, these are the same list of things most of us struggle with. I pretty have #8 nailed ;-) but the rest of them are have been ongoing projects of mine stretching all the way back to college and earlier. THIS year, I am concentrating on #2, #9, and making friends. If that goes well, then who knows, maybe I'll cycle some of the others back up to the front burner. So, my free advice (worth the paper it is written on), be nice to yourself with regard to your time table. It's God's ship and it's God's sea.

Steve’s Writing said...

Oh yes! I am also working on editing my posts before posting them ;-) Reading over my previous comment reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, something like: "Check your writing carefully to see if you anything out."

Mary Lou said...

Thanks Steve. I'm trying to learn to cut myself some slack. You make a very good point that the list could be a multi-year journey. In my case, I usually have that list as ongoing.
Thanks for stopping in here to read a little. I appreciate that.

Powered By Blogger