April 28, 2008

God is Love, Not Fear

This morning at church, I sat in a Sunday school class discussing “the fear of the Lord” and listening to the comments of the mostly over 60 group. I realized just how much distance (in thought) there was between some of those older class members and myself. When one reads verses about “fearing God”, many take that as literal boot-shaking fright of the Almighty. You know like, “You better do right and be afraid of God or else…” sort of fear. During the discussion, different class participants began to connect our views of God and our interpretation of the verses on fearing the Lord, with how we were raised.

The teacher had several Bible verses to study in regard to a Christian’s “fear” of the Lord.
We first looked at verses in the Old Testament books of Proverbs, Job and the Psalms dealing with the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge and wisdom that leads to the understanding of God.

However, when we turned to the New Testament books of Matthew and 1 John, it seemed to click within my understanding of what it meant to fear the Lord. It was also at this point that I realized how important our relationships were with our earthly fathers. I did not fear my dad. However, I was afraid of a confrontation with my dad if I did not mind him. When I misbehaved, it hurt my heart for my dad to have to fuss at me. Then, I’d be so upset with myself for messing up. Occasionally, I got a spanking from him, but that punishment didn’t cause me to be afraid of him. It might at times cause me to be angry, sulk or pout, but I still didn’t fear my father. I knew without a single doubt, that Dad loved me and would rather not spank me. I also knew that it was my dad’s job to discipline or correct me. So because my dad loved me, I loved him and tried to do what was expected of me.

That comparison between my own dad and God helped me to understand Matthew 10:26-31 and 1 John 4:16-18. Those verses tell about a God that loved us before we knew him. The scriptures tell us not to be afraid of those who kill the body (like a murderer). Even though those can kill the body, they can’t kill the soul. The soul is so much more important (than our bodies) because it can be eternal. Jesus says, “Rather we should fear the One (God) that can destroy both body and soul in hell”. God has the power to do that, you know. Jesus illustrates this by telling about two sparrows costing a penny (Sparrows were bought as an offering.) Jesus says that the sparrows “won’t fall to the ground (or die) apart from (without) the will of your Father”. Then, Jesus says, “So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows”. I don’t know, but doubt a sparrow has a soul. If God will save the sparrows life, just think how much he wants to save our souls. It is within his power. 1 John 4:16-18 tells us why God would save us. Simply, “God is love.” Vs. 19 of that chapter tells us why we should love, “We love because he first loved us.” Just like my own earthly dad loved me first, and I love him.

Do we commit good and right things in this life on earth because we are afraid of God’s wrath? No, even though he can destroy our bodies and souls. (Which you should fear.) God loves us and wants to save our souls for eternity. Our bodies can’t last for eternity, but with Jesus, our souls can live. God commands us to not only love him, but to also love our brother. Loving our brother isn’t always easy. So, that is why we need a Savior. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall NOT perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

…God is love. 1 John 10:16
There is no fear in love. 1John 10:18

No comments:

Powered By Blogger